List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1080951

Location

THE OLD RECTORY HOUSE, CHURCH ROAD SW19

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityMertonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Sep-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 205026

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONDON BOROUGHOFI4ERTON CHURCH ROAD, Wimbledon, SW19 TQ 2471 (east side) 6/26 The Old Rectory House (formerly listed as No 54 1.6.49 (The Old Rectory House)) GV II*

Large detached house, now several dwellings. Circa 1500 with substantial C19 additions. C16 brick partly rendered. Old tiled steeply pitched roof to eaves to original wing. South west front with original wing of 2 storeys plus dormers, 2 main bays; 1 and 2 storey additions to left and right. Entrance in C19 hipped roofed porch to left bay of original block. Square headed mullioned windows, stone dressings, renewed, of 4 lights above entrance, of 1 light to its right and 2 lights to right. C19 casemented dormers. Leaded lights. To right-hand side, substantial original stack rises on face of wall. Buttresses to corner and centre of facade. To left, slightly recessed on original octagonal brick stair turret, later glazed top stage and cornical roof with weathervane. Further original octagonal stair turret to rear. Additions in Tudor revival style. Interior contains fine late C16 or early C17 panelling, much imported; former chapel with painted barrel vaulted roof with decorative plasterwork.

Listing NGR: TQ2447271534

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 24472 71534

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 06:02:04.