List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1080948

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH PATH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityMertonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 205020

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON CHURCH ROAD, Mitcham TQ 2768 (north side) 12/22 Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul 16.1.54 GV II

the building shall be upgraded to grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows:

Parish church. 1819-22, with medieval fabric in tower base. George Smith, architect. Roman cement render with some Bath stone dressings. Slate roof, pitched to parapet. 5-bay nave, aisled and with clerestorey; chancel arch to 2-bay sanctuary flanked by chapels. South east tower of three stages with oculus to first floor and 2-light bell louvres above, crenellated parapet and octagonal corner turrets. 5-light east window with reticulated tracery; the other windows Perpendicular and culminating in spectacular five-light Perpendicular west window. Grotesque label stops to aisle windows. Interior has tall arcades with clustered columns from which rises lierne plaster vault of remarkable charm and elegance. Rear gallery, modified in 1869. 1820s font. Reredos of 1899. Monuments include that to Sir Ambrose and Lady Crawley (d.1713 and 1727) by Gibbs and Rysbrack at the west end; to John Hyde (d.1810 ) by Rouw; tablets to the Tate family by Charles Harris. War memorial with central panel of St George and the Dragon by Martin Travers. An early example of a Gothic Revival church in a pure Perpendicular style. George Smith was long the architect to the Mercers' Company and had an interest in designing his churches in varying historical styles. This is his exemplar in Perpendicular.

------------------------------------

LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON CHURCH ROAD, Mitcham TQ 2768 (north side) 12/22 Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul 16.1.54 GV II

Parish church. 1819-22, with medieval fabric to tower. George Smith, architect. Cement render. Slate roof, pitched to parapet. Perpendicular style. 5-bay nave, aisled; clerestory. Lower chancel tower to south east. 5-light east window, inter- secting tracery. 3-light aisle and 2-light clerestory windows; reticulated tracery. 3-stage tower with oculus to first floor and 2-light bell louvres above; crenellated parapet and octagonal corner turret; pinnacles. Chancel chapels to north and south. Interior with clustered piers to tall painted arcade arches; shafts rising to tierceron vaults. Monuments by R Westmacott and others.

Listing NGR: TQ2704768689

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 27047 68689

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 09:14:16.