List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1080946

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH PATH SW19

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityMertonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 205015

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON CHURCH PATH, Merton, SW19 TQ 2569 (south side) 11/17 Church of St Mary 7.5.54 GV II*

Parish church. C12 and later, much restored; chancel early C13; C15, restored, north porch; north aisle of 1866 by B Ferrey; south aisle of 1856 by F Digweed. West arch of 1897 by H G Quartermain. Knapped flint facing, stone dressings. Tiled roof to eaves (partly renewed). 4-bay nave, 4-bay chancel, north porch, short shingled broach spire to west; no clerestory (dormers). 2-light nave windows, pointed to taller north aisle, square headed with perpendicular style tracery to south aisle; buttresses between. 3 pointed lancets survive to chancel; other side windows 2-light; east window an insertion of 3-lights, perpendicular tracery. Pointed arched moulded west door with head stops. North door C12 reset; zigzag decoration to voussoirs, scalloped capitals to shafted jambs; old timber door with fine C12 wrought iron work (hinges and decoration). Interior: Nave with alternating circular and octagonal columns to pointed arcades. Open timber roof with tie beams. 4 bay chancel with fine capitalless ashlar wall arcades, early C13 and elaborate c1400 crown-post roof with moulded tie beams and coved edges. Old timber door to south side of chancel with C12 wrought iron work. South east window of chancel with circa 1400 head of Jesus in tracery light. Several wall monuments including that to Cook family with draped female figure by R J Wyatt (1832) and wall monument to Gregory Lovell of Merton, (d 1597) etc. Reredos 1889, Ewan Christian. C19 font, pews, pulpit, lectern. Hatchments. 1 window in south aisle of 1907 by Morris and Company.

Listing NGR: TQ2511269434

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 25112 69434

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 04:45:05.