List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ORATORY HOUSE (BLOCK PARALLEL TO BROMPTON ROAD, BROMPTON ORATORY)

List entry Number: 1080763

Location

THE ORATORY HOUSE (BLOCK PARALLEL TO BROMPTON ROAD, BROMPTON ORATORY), BROMPTON ROAD SW3

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityKensington and ChelseaLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203547

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for: TQ 2779 SW BROMPTON ROAD SW3 40/40 The Oratory House (block parallel to Brompton Road, Brompton Oratory)

GV II*

London headquarters, private chapel and library of the Oratorian fathers. Main house (north block) and northern part of west wing designed by JJ Scoles, 1853. Southern part of west wing, 1872-3, partially refaced in stone by Leonard Stokes, 1911. Gault brick and stucco, slate roofs. Italianate style. North block: four storeys, five windows wide, sash windows with margin lights, rustications to ground floor, central entrance. West wing: three storeys, with balustraded parapets. Interior of west wing includes on ground floor the Little Oratory, refitted with stalls apsidal sanctuary, altar and ceiling decoration by J Hungerford Pollen, 1871-2 and with grisaille paintings on walls by Edgar Ritchard with Adrian Brookholding-Jones, 1954; on first floor the galleried library is chiefly by Scoles. At south end of west wing, St Wilfred's Hall on first floor has Italianate painted decoration. The Oratory House is connected at the east end to the Brompton Oratory Church(q.v.) Source: Survey of London, vol. 41, 1983, pp. 50-55

Listing NGR: TQ2711579156

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in Survey of London - Southern Kensington: Volume 41, (1983), 50-55

National Grid Reference: TQ 27115 79156

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 09:33:36.