List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JUDE

List entry Number: 1080661

Location

CHURCH OF ST JUDE, COLLINGHAM ROAD, SW5

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityKensington and ChelseaLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203708

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2578 NE COLLINGHAM ROAD, SW5

249/45/5 Church of St Jude

II*

Church. 1870, tower and spire added 1879. By George and Henry Godwin. Kentish ragstone jumper-work with stone dressings. Steeply pitched gabled roofs with bands of pale and dark grey slates; chancel and sanctuary roofs decrease in height. Shingled spire. Gothic style. PLAN AND EXTERIOR: 7-bay nave over 30 metres in length, chancel and sanctuary, double semi-transepts, SW tower. Geometric tracery windows, those to east end and transepts of 6 lights. Most angles are buttressed. Tower with paired, louvered belfry openings and a clock face to each facade. INTERIOR: Scissor-braced king-post roof White-wash currently covers polychrome brickwork and sheet copper faced capitals. The nave arcade is carried on thin iron columns with Transitional style iron capitals. For two-thirds of the nave's length its aisles broaden into transepts accommodating galleries at first floor level, supported on an outer row of iron colunms. A further deep gallery across the west end. Shallow chancel has murals of fictive arcading with lilies and passion flowers flanking 2 harp-playing angels on a gold background; northern wall without angels but has the organ. Shallow sanctuary with blue painted roof having gold stars; murals of 1879-80 by Edward Frampton have fictive arcading with angels, prophets, Apostles and elders on a gold background flanking a reredos of alabaster and marble, carved by Thomas Earp and inset with mosaics by Alviati and Burke, the whole representing the Adoration of the Lamb. Coloured marble and alabaster pulpit, on short columns, with carved figures of St Jude, St Peter, St Paul and St Augustine, also by Frampton and Earp, 1881. Original, numbered pews. Minton tiles to the chancel floor, quarry tiles, diagonally set to the nave. HISTORY: St Jude's was built at a boom time for church building in Kensington and coincided with the first great clashes over ritual. It was a "Low" church built on the initiative of the Revd J A Aston in anticipation of the development of the northern part of the Gunter estates, and financed by rich evangelical businessman John Derby Allcroft, a wealthy glove manufacturer. Seating was designed to accommodate some 1,600 people. It is an unusual example of design attempting to reconcile orthodox ecclesiological ideas about the visible separation of nave, aisles and chancel with the seating traditions of evangelical worship.



Listing NGR: TQ2591978720

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 25919 78720

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 05:53:15.