List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

List entry Number: 1080532

Location

CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, BRIXTON HILL SW2

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityLambethLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 204008

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIXTON HILL SW2 1. (east side) 5023 Church of St Matthew TQ 3075 17/47 TQ 3175 18/47 19.10.51

II*

2. 1822-4 by C F Porden. Greek revival preaching box with east tower. Pale yellowish brick with dressings of stone and Roman cement. West portico tetrastyle in antis with fluted Doric columns. Three tall battered doors, with enriched panels, in eared moulded architraves. Cast iron boot-scrapers by doors. Five-bay sides with pilasters of Roman cement and entablature. Battered windows with eared architraves. Stone plinth. On each side, stairs with side walls down to crypt entrance, a pedimented doorway enclosed by strong, double wrought iron gates. Stone-faced east end with wide projecting central tower bay with window. Doors in recessed side bays. Above the entablature, tower has square bell stage with Doric screens below on octagonal "Tower of the Winds" whose low conical top has crown and cross. Inside, a wide gallery around 3 sides has Doric organ case at west. Tall screen of 2 Doric columns before east window. Original pewing. Some pleasing memorial tablets.

Listing NGR: TQ3098875093

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30988 75093

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 10:37:50.