List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1080302

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHounslowLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 202594

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for

TQ 1777 SW HIGH STREET, BRENTFORD

(south side) 11/241 Church of St Lawrence 11.7.51

The grade shall be amended to read grade II* (Star) and the description shall be amended to read:

Former church. Tower C15 altered C19; body of church 1764 by Thomas Hardwicke (old list); south aisle and north vestry added C19; interior re-done 1889 (Pevsner p.28); 1970s restoration work. Tower of Kentish rag with ashlar dressing; body of church of brown brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs. 3-stage west tower; 3-bay aisled nave with 1-bay chancel, all in one, having additional south aisle, north vestry and small sanctuary. Tower: plinth; diagonal buttresses with offsets, and quoins to 2nd and 3rd stages; chamfered offsets between stages. Vice at north-east angle is octagonal on plan, becoming circular at top stage, with chamfered doorway at base and slit windows. West side of tower has round-arched C19 board door with decora- tive hinges in architrave, with C15 window above of 3 cusped lights in 2-centre- arched opening. Rectangular opening to 2nd stage on west and north sides, south side masked by C18 work. A louvred 2-centred-arched belfry window to north, west and south sides. Cornice below embattled parapet. Nave and chancel: north side: chancel bay slightly set back and partly masked by added gabled vestry. Bays defined by giant pilasters with stone imposts supporting round arches; each bay has a blind segmental-arched window below taller round-arched window which has late C20 tracery, copying original, of 2 arched lights with circle over. Ashlar coping. South side masked by aisle addition, but has upper windows as before. At west end on north side are steps up to double door of 8 raised and fielded panels in ashlar architrave with pulvinated frieze and cornice; the top step is inscribed "to the vault of George Cooper". Sanctuary east window blocked. Interior: pointed tower arch of several orders, the central hollow-moulded order supported by short columns with moulded capitals. Body of church has late C19 wooden round-arched arcades, the columns octagonal and having moulded bases and acanthus leaf capitals; clerestory windows of tripled round-arched lights; braced queen-post roof trusses with inner columns supporting round arch. Chancel has wooden screens either side, with 2 tiers of round-arched arcades, on slender columns below and twisted columns above. At west end of nave a wall monument to Thomas Hardwicke, architect, d.1829, and other members of family; one south wall a circular monument with drapes to Rev William Coome, 1810 by Coade and Sealy; other memorials removed. In tower, tombstone of Dame Mary, widow of Sir Edward Spencer, d.1658, with 2 heart-shaped coats of arms. Other good monuments have been removed (see photos in National Monuments Record). N Pevsner, Buildings of England, Middlesex (1951)

------------------------------------

HIGH STREET, BRENTFORD 1. 4419 (South Side) Church of St Lawrence TQ 1777 SW 11/241 11.7.51.

A

2. C15 tower. Body of church rebuilt in brown brick, 1764. Monuments. Architect: Thomas Hardwicke the elder. RCHM. NMR.

Listing NGR: TQ1743577289

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Middlesex - Date: 1951

National Grid Reference: TQ 17435 77289

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 06:50:03.