List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1080163

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, ST PETER'S WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHillingdonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-May-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Oct-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 202961

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The entry for the following building: 1. 5018 ST PETER'S WAY (west side) HARLINGTON Church of St Peter & St Paul (formerly listed as Harlington Parish Church, High Street, Harlington) TQ 0878 31/395 27.5.49 B

shall be amended to read:

TQ0878 ST PETER'S WAY (west side) 31/395 Church of St Peter and St Paul GV 27.5.49 I Parish church. C12 nave and south doorway, C14 chancel, late C15 tower. Restored by J Oldrid Scott, 1878-80 when the north aisle was added. Rubble and flint walls with stone dressings; early C16 wooden south porch. South doorway: limestone, round arch of four orders. Narrow outer door with circular motifs above battlement mouldings, third order of cat's head mouldings, second order of chevron mouldings, innermost voussoirs plain. Enrichedjambs with decorated capitals; nook-shafts replaced in C19. Wooden porch early C16, with open moulded uprights and pitched tiled roof possibly reused. Nave: C12 south wall with later window openings; northern nave aisle, with arcade of three- pointed arch openings on octagonal piers added by J O Scott. Open timber king post roof restored 1878-80. Baroque monument on south wall to Lord Ossulton (d.l1686) and wives. War memorial, 1920 by Charles Oldrid Scott. Chancel: added c1340. Chancel arch by J Oldrid Scott. Open king post roof. Late C19 pews, sanctuary floor of encaustic tiles, C16 Easter sepulchre formerly combined with monument to Gregory Lovell (1545), whose brass is repositioned nearby. In Gothic niches flanking the altar are recumbent effigies to Count Jerome de Salis (d.1836) by Richard Lucas and to Countess Henrietta de Salis (d.1856) by William Theed. Gothic monument William de Salis (d.1856) by Inigo Thomas. East window by C E Kempe, 1873, three lights depicting the Crucifixion. Windows in south aisle by Willement depicting the Ascension, 1845, and by A L Moore, 1889, depicting Christ in Majesty. North Aisle: early C16 doorway to vestry moved to present position in 1878-80 restoration. Monument by Boehm to Lieutenant-general Rudolph de Salis (d.1880) on east wall. West Tower houses baptistery with C12 font of Purbeck marble: square bowl with arcading to sides carried on shaft with colonnettes at corners. Stained glass window of the Presentation in the Temple by Kempe, 1903. The church has a remarkably rural setting supplied by its churchyard, which is celebrated for its yew trees and tombs.

------------------------------------ 1. 5018 ST PETER'S WAY (West Side) HARLINGTON Church of St Peter & St Paul (Formerly listed as Harlington Parish Church, High Street, Harlington) TQ 0878 31/395 27.5.49. B 2. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble mixed with ironstone, tiled roofs. Battlemented tower of circa 1500 with cupola on staircase turret. Porch of similar period, partly rebuilt, leads to rich Norman doorway. Interior mainly C14 with old chancel roof. C12 font. Some C14 and 15 brasses in Easter Sepulchre. Bennett monument of circa 1690 with 3 portrait busts. 2 large monuments to the Salis family by R C Lucas, early-mid C19.

Listing NGR: TQ0880078214

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 08800 78214

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 04:34:33.