List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LEE PUBLIC LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1079968

Location

LEE PUBLIC LIBRARY, OLD ROAD SE13

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityLewishamLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Mar-1973

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203387

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLD ROAD SE13 1. 4424 Lee Public Library [Formerly listed as No 34 - The Manor House (Lewisham TQ 3975 15/L66 30.8.54. Public Library)]

II GV

2. 1771-2, probably by Richard Jupp. 2 storeys and basement, 5 windows. Slightly projecting centre 3-bay section has half-storey over. Yellow stock brick. Stone entablature with fluted architrave, garlands in frieze. Blocking course over. In attic storey 4 flat pilasters support cornice. Low pitched hipped slated roofs. Ground floor cill string. Rusticated stone basement. l-storey and basement, 2 window right wing, partly rebuilt. 2-storey and basement left wing, blank but for one round window on lst floor and one small door. Gauged flat brick arches to sash windows with glazing bars in stucco lined reveals. 7 stone steps, with side walls and wrought iron inner rails, to tetrastyle porch with leafy capitals, garlands in frieze and pediment over. Later inscription in tympanum: "MANOR HOUSE". Porch now glazed. Cast iron gallery to flat roof centre. South (garden) front. Similar style and proportions but 3 middle windows in large round bow. Moulded stone architraves and cornice to windows. In right wing long dog-leg stair to entrance set back under round arch, 3-light sash window above, under plaster fanlight tympanum. Round arched niche under round window at right. Inside in hall screen of columns with leafy capitals. Reading room with large South bow has ceiling and cornice in shallow, Adam style plasterwork. Similar plaster work and screen of Ionic columns in ante-room to East, Enriched window architraves, reveals and shutters. Similar South room on West side. lst floor landing has arched screen with Ionic columns; groin vaulted passage behind, with Adam style decorative plaster work on walls. Central niche; and niche at stair head. Enriched cornices to principal upstairs rooms. House belonged at one time to Julius Angerstein who married the widow of its 1st owner Thomas Lucas. In 1796 he sold it to Francis Baring, founder of Baring's Bank.

Lee Public Library Walls and Gate Piers and Pentland House and Walls form a group.



Listing NGR: TQ3936275052

Selected Sources

Other
Part 17 Greater London,

National Grid Reference: TQ 39362 75052

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 10:36:44.