List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ROYAL LIBERTY SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1079885

Location

THE ROYAL LIBERTY SCHOOL, UPPER BRENTWOOD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHaveringLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1979

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 201665

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UPPER BRENTWOOD ROAD 1. 5017 Gidea Park The Royal Liberty School TQ 5289/5389 4/2 II* 2. 1768/9 with late C19 additions. Formerly known as Hare Hall. Mansion designed by James Paine for J A Wallinger. Ashlar faced main block joined by colonnades to 2 storey pavilions. Rusticated ground floor with 4 square sashes, semi-circular headed niches at either end and central entrance with modern door and semi-circular Tuscan porch of 1896. One-three-one bays. Projecting centre with four 3/4 columns.of an Adamesque Ionic order supporting a pediment with coats of arms and swags; coupled pilasters at each end of the front. First floor has tall semi-circular headed window with lower round-headed niches on either side. Outer bays with tall straight headed sashes, with balustrade below moulded string course. Reeded string above first floor. Attic storey with small oblong sashes, entablature, cornice and shallow pitched slate roof. Plain return elevations of 3 bays with rusticated ground floor. Flanking colonnades originally single storey, now heightened; rectangular pavilions of 3 bays and 2 storeys with pyramidal slate roofs, right hand pavilion retains original central stack. Rear elevation of red brick with moulded stone cornice and pedimented centre; 3 sashes with gauged plum brick arches. Two lower floors obscured by later 2 storey additions. Large central Tuscan porch. Many of the additions by W Seth Smith circa 1896. Interior much altered, but top-lit oval staircase survives, also some panelling and chimney pieces in first floor rooms.



Listing NGR: TQ5321289728

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 53212 89728

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 03:39:44.