List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DIMCO MACHINE TOOLS

List entry Number: 1079757

Location

DIMCO MACHINE TOOLS, WOOD LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHammersmith and FulhamLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 201954

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



333/1/22 WOOD LANE 20-SEP-88 Dimco Machine Tools

II



Former electricity generating station. 1898-9 for Central London Railway. Harry Bell Measures FRIBA, architect, with Horace Field Parshall, engineer. Red and pink brick, iron roofs, stone coping to parapet. Two adjoining single-height gable-ended sheds, comprising the former boiler house to the west and the former power generating house to the east. EXTERIOR: West shed of five bays in length, divided with piers, with arched cast-iron windows (some blocked) below a dentilled brick cornice; five bay north and south elevations with two lunette windows at lower level, and three arch headed openings within the gable. Behind the west shed, connected by a single storey building, are two chimney bases, of blue and red brick with stone dressings, to the north of the westernmost shed; chimney shafts taken down in c.1928. East shed of eleven bays in length, with five bay elevations to north and south; south elevation has a pair of arched windows at ground floor level below three arch headed openings within the gable; north elevation has two orders of arch-headed windows at ground floor level and three arch headed openings within the gable. INTERIOR: west shed (former boiler house) has a plain interior with double rows of supports to the iron roof trusses. East shed (former generating house) has iron roof trusses, walls faced in glazed green, brown and yellow brick, a mobile gantry crane, a switch gallery with double stairs, balustrade and iron columns, and offices to rear. HISTORY: These buildings were originally used as the engine house and boiler house of the Wood Lane generating station which supplied energy for the Central Line. They now constitute the earliest extant example of an electricity generating station built for the London Underground Railway system. The generating station closed in 1928 and the building was later used by the Dimco power tool company.



Listing NGR: TQ2340580355

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 23405 80355

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 08:04:35.