List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1079539

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, HERTFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityEnfieldLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Dec-1975

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200665

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ENFIELD

790/6/196 HERTFORD ROAD 19-MAR-51 ENFIELD HIGHWAY (East side) CHURCH OF ST JAMES (Formerly listed as: HERTFORD ROAD ENFIELD HIGHWAY CHURCH OF ST JAMES)

II

1831 by W C Lochner, chancel added in 1864. Chancel rebuilt and internal modifications in 1969 by J Barrington Baker and Partners following a fire in 1967.

MATERIALS: Nave and tower are stock brick, the chancel and vestries are roughly dressed coursed stone with stone dressings. Slate roofs. Interior plastered and painted.

PLAN: Chancel and nave the same width. Chancel with N and E vestries, un-aisled nave with W tower over the W bay of the nave.

EXTERIOR: The nave is tall and square, in a typical Commissioners' Gothic style. The embattled W tower, positioned over the W bay of the nave, has small polygonal corner buttresses that rise above the parapet to become small turrets with pointed caps. The W window has a rich ogee frame. The very tall nave walls are also embattled and have similar polygonal buttresses rising to tiny corner turrets. Two-light aisle windows with transoms in a vaguely Perp style. The chancel has a large 6-light Tudor-style S window. No E window, that from 1864 having been removed, presumably in 1969. The upper part of the E gable wall is rebuilt in brick. Small lean-to E vestry, possibly a relic of the older chancel. North vestry, now a parish room, in Early English style, a remnant of the 1864 work.

INTERIOR: The interior is plain, but spacious and light filled with very large windows. W bay of the nave is divided off to form an internal western narthex also providing access to the W gallery. Wide nave is undivided internally, with W gallery on cast iron columns. Gallery has wooden front with trefoil arched panelling. Doors with 4-centred heads to stairs and an internal window with Y tracery. The chancel arch and the flanking arches leading from the nave into N and S chancel chapels were removed in the 1969 rebuilding, leaving only small wall stubs. The arches from the chancel into the N and S chancel chapels were also removed, leaving the chancel the same width as the nave, the sanctuary differentiated only by two shallow steps. Nave roof C19 with very shallow 4-centred arched trusses with foiled spandrels and diamond panels along a ridge rib, but only the beams are now painted, and the decoration on the bed of the ceiling shown in early photos has been lost. Chancel ceiling has the same profile as that in the nave, although without the beams; another change of 1969 as the1864 chancel had a more steeply pitched roof.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Simple C19 benches and matching choir stalls in the nave. In the chancel, a bust of a woman on a stiff-leaf corbelled bracket, and above her an angel holding a book. Very rich octagonal C19 font with quatrefoil panels, angels supporting the bowl, and a very elaborate micro-architecture timber cover.

HISTORY: Built in 1830-1, architect William Lochner, in Commissioners Gothic style as a chapel of ease to the parish church of St Andrew in Enfield Town, which was by then very overcrowded. It became a perpetual curacy in 1834 serving a parish in the eastern part of Enfield. An Early English style chancel was added in 1864. N and S galleries were removed in the mid C20 (BoE says 1952) and after a fire in 1967, the chancel was wholly remodelled in 1969 by J Barrington-Baker and Partners.

SOURCES: Lambeth Palace Library ICBS File 1042 Baker, T F T and Pugh, R B eds, Victoria County History: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5 (1976), pp. 245-249 Cherry, B and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England London 4: North (1999), p. 437 Church website http://www.stjameschurch.cc/

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: St James', Enfield, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * A highly characteristic example of a Commissioners' Gothic church in brick, sympathetically renovated in the C20.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 35193 97035

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 02:35:28.