List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLARENDON COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1079527

Location

CLARENDON COTTAGE, 17, GENTLEMAN'S ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityEnfieldLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200642

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

1. 4411 GENTLEMAN'S ROW (East side) TQ 3296 7/163 19.3.51 No 17 (Clarendon Cottage) II* GV

the description shall be amended to read as follows:

C16 timber-framed hall house of two bays at core, with C17 extension at north end. Now two storeys and four-window range. Early C18 extension at rear, two storeys, with panelled rooms. Central and north bay re-fronted in brick probably during the late C17, with stuccoed parapet front. Red pantiled roof has large central stack with diagonal shafts. C18 sash windows, those on ground floor with external shutters. Door of six fielded panels, top glazed, in raised stucco surround with Gothic raised border and breakfront cornice. Two- storey extension to left with similar door in plain doorcase. Wood plaque at first floor: "Charles and Mary Lamb lived here in 1825 and 1827".

------------------------------------

1. 4411 GENTLEMAN'S ROW (East Side) No 17 TQ 3296 7/163 19.3.51. (Clarendon Cottage) II* GV

2. C17 cottage of 2 storeys, 4 windows. Red pantiled roof has large central chimney with diagonal shafts. Parapet front, now stuccoed. C18 sash windows with glazing bars, those on ground floor with external shutters. Door of 6 fielded panels, top glazed, in raised stucco surround with gothic raised border and breakfront cornice. 2-storey left extension with similar door in plain doorcase. Wood plaque at lst floor: "Charles and Mary Lamb lived here in 1825 and 1827".

Nos 1 to 33 (odd), with all mentioned walls and railings and The Coach House form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ3247296791

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32472 96791

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 10:26:12.