List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 1 TO 8 INCLUDING EIGHT LAMP POSTS TO EAST AND WEST

List entry Number: 1079481

Location

NUMBERS 1 TO 8 INCLUDING EIGHT LAMP POSTS TO EAST AND WEST, 1-8, STATION PARADE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityEnfieldLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1985

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jul-2009

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200806

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ENFIELD

790/22/100 STATION PARADE 11-MAR-85 1-8 (including eight lamp posts to east an d west) (Formerly listed as: CHASESIDE 1) (Formerly listed as: STATION PARADE 1-8)

II

PARADE OF SHOPS: The parade of shops were designed and built in 1932-33 to the designs of Charles Holden of Adams, Holden and Pearson for the London Passenger Transport Board. They are of red brick, with roofs concealed behind high parapets. Steel-framed windows to first floor; bronzed shopfronts to the ground floor. Segmental shaped parade of ten units, with a cut-through dividing six shops from the remaining four. Curved ends with full-height glazing and clerestoreys set slightly behind very narrow fascia bands. To the first floor a strip of glazing with a strongly horizontal pattern of steel glazing bars. The central shops set back behind circular, entirely unmoulded columns clad in mosaic tiling, with blind red brick walling above dominated by a large clock placed in the centre of the curve. The shopfronts are fully glazed above low mosaic-clad plinths, with a narrow fascia band and clerestory above, save at the northern end, where there is one bay of brickwork and security doors, where a waiting room used to be, before the more pronounced of the two curved ends begins - this was originally also part of the waiting room. Rooflights in the concrete roof slab behind the columns are an integral part of the design, as is the lettering 'STATION PARADE' in the blind walling above. Rear elevation similar. Above the cut-through, and stretching between two first-floor windows, there is the stone background to a former bullseye sign, missing at time of inspection in 2008.

LAMP POSTS: Eight lamp posts to the east and west of Station Parade. They follow the curved road between the station and the shops. These were erected in 1933 to the designs of Charles Holden of Adams, Holden and Pearson for the London Passenger Transport Board. They comprise tapered polygonal concrete posts surmounted by narrow bronze fixing supporting a glass globe.

HISTORY: Southgate Underground Station was approved in 1930 and opened in 1933 on the northern extension of the Piccadilly Line. This seven mile extension beyond the original terminus of Finsbury Park required a parliamentary act and was to serve the enlarging suburban areas in north and west Middlesex. The first section of the line, from Finsbury Park to Arnos Grove, which included the stations at Manor House, Turnpike Lane, Wood Green and Bounds Green, was opened on 19 September 1932. Southgate and Enfield West (now Oakwood) followed in March 1933 and the terminus at Cockfosters opened on 31 July 1933. The London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB) was created on 1 July 1933. This group of stations was commissioned by Frank Pick (1878-1941) and designed by architect Charles Holden (1875-1960), who together created an architecturally distinguished group of buildings. Pick worked for London underground railways from 1906-1940, throughout his career striving to promote high-quality, well-detailed design that he believed was essential for serving the public. Holden was an accomplished Arts and Crafts architect in the Edwardian period who uniquely made the move to modernism, following a 1930 study tour (with Pick) of continental railway stations and modern architecture. Together they firmly promoted functionalist modernism for the new station designs, taking advantage of newly available materials, and adopting the continental and American idea of a primary concourse as circulation space, with the ticket hall as the dominant element of the new buildings.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The parade of shops and eight lampposts at Southgate underground station are listed for the following principal reasons: * They are contemporary and key components of the group of transport buildings connected with Southgate Underground Station, which is listed Grade II*; * The stations of the Piccadilly Line extension to Cockfosters were all sited at important bus interchanges, but only here and at Turnpike Lane was a whole parade of shops and series of bus stops built as intended, and only at Southgate do they have special interest; * They are good examples of the attention to every detail demanded by Frank Pick of his designers.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 29649 94239

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2014 at 08:45:06.