List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE QUEENS PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1079170

Location

THE QUEENS PUBLIC HOUSE, 26, TOTTENHAM LANE N8
THE QUEENS PUBLIC HOUSE, BROADWAY PARADE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHaringeyLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 201501

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

800/33/257 BROADWAY PARADE 23-NOV-1973 CROUCH END The Queen's Public House II*

Includes: The Queen's Public House, No.26 Tottenham Lane N8, CROUCH END

Also Known As: THE QUEEN'S PUBLIC HOUSE, ELDER AVENUE, CROUCH END

Pub, formerly hotel. 1899-1901 by John Cathles Hill (1858-1915), builder and developer. 3 storeys and attic; 3 bay front to Broadway Parade with lesser bay at south end, rounded angle to 2 bays and lower end bay on Elder Avenue. Red brick with extensive pale yellow limestone dressings; black granite to ground floor pilasters and base; lead-sheathed roof to angle turret; slate mansard roof with dormers. EXTERIOR: circular entrance lobby with mosaic floor with QH monogram, wrought iron screen above inscribed with THE QUEENS. Tripartite front to Broadway Parade with central gable, triple arcade to ground floor containing arched windows with heavy mullions and pedimented aedicular frames within, with Art Nouveau stained glass to lower lights. Dado and below faced in granite, with diaper pattern panels. Southern entrance via entrance flanked by Corinthian columns with aedicule, set below wrought iron screen with pub name, and above a mosaic floor with the name repeated again. Entrance to upper floors at south end with 9-panel door with overlight, set within stone hood; open swan's neck pediment above. Main front articulated with Corinthian pilasters, with shafts of granite supporting entablature with painted frieze; pedimented caps to projecting piers. Upper floors faced in banded brickwork. Aedicular surrounds to 1st floor windows with mullions (treated as square columns) and transoms (treated as a continuation of a projecting string course); windows arranged 2-3-3 along main front with arched windows to central bay. Second floor windows with square column mullions support continuous frieze to both elevations. Gabled bay to attic over central bay with banded stonework, triple window, segmental pediment termination. Corner drum with six-light windows to each floor (seven to attic), with cornice of cut brick beneath decorative lead roof. Return to Elder Avenue is stepped up towards corner with a chimneystack beside the corner drum. Arcaded ground floor with decorative screen. Former entrance to upper floors to east (now blocked), beneath pediment with name of hotel. INTERIOR: survives largely intact. Central bar with four separate areas divided by ornate wooden glazed partitions with etched decoration to doors, and Art Nouveau stained glass to upper sections of screens; pierced parapets above. Bar counter with panelled front to all sides, Ionic terms flank counter facing saloon bar, which has a snuggery and wooden fireplace with tiled surround and mirrored overmantel within inglenook. Wooden chimneypiece along east wall with tiled surround and mirrored overmantel. Coffered ceiling with relief decoration of arabesques and mermaids. Cast iron Corinthian columns to centre. Upper floors not inspected. HISTORY: John Cathles Hill (1858-1915) was a builder-developer, responsible for building much of Crouch End. Many of the fittings of the pub were manufactured in his workshops. The notable Art Nouveau glass was supplied by Cakebread, Robey. Along with its sister pub by Hill, the Salisbury in Green Lanes, the Queen's Hotel represents the pinnacle of late Victorian pub design and is a remarkable survival, with exceptional joinery and glass.

[Mark Girouard, 'Victorian Pubs' (1975), 124-126].



Listing NGR: TQ3022588565

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Girouard, M - Title: Victorian Pubs - Date: 1975 - Page References: 124-126

National Grid Reference: TQ 30228 88571

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2014 at 04:36:26.