List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROYAL ARTILLERY BARRACKS MAIN BUILDING

List entry Number: 1078918

Location

ROYAL ARTILLERY BARRACKS MAIN BUILDING, REPOSITORY ROAD SE18

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityGreenwichLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200504

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 4378 REPOSITORY ROAD, SE18 (east side) 786/20/56 Main Building, Royal Artillery Barracks

GV 8/6/73 II*

Artillery barracks, offices and mess. E half 1775-82, W half 1802, by James Wyatt, Surveyor General, for the Board of Ordnance, right-handed damaged by bombing c1940, rebuilt c1960, interior altered and partly rebuilt mid C20. Flemish bond brick, stucco and ashlar, with slate roof Late Georgian style. Axial plan of double-depth rooms with through passages; partly rebuilt internally. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attic and basement; 13:5:21:5:13:3:13:5:21:5:13-window range. A very long front of matching, sytmnetrical wings either side of a central triumphal archway, each wing consisting of three blocks with a brick plat band, cornice and parapet, central round-arched doorways in matching recesses with steps up to 6-panel doors with radial fanlights, and rubbed brick flat arches to 6/6-pane sashes. Each wing has outer blocks with raised 2-window ends with balustraded attic storeys, and central lower 2-storey sections with 9 flat-headed lead-clad dormers. The central blocks have pedimented central 5-window sections crowned by square, domed belcotes with louvred round-arched sides, and with secondary flat-headed doorways 4 bays from the ends: the left-hand pediment contains a wind dial, and the right-hand one a clock. Linking these three blocks are stuccoed 2-storey sections set back, with a thin cornice and parapet, a ground floor with a Tuscan colonnade to an entablature and balustrade, and a flat-headed doorway with overlights and 6/6-pane sashes, and first floors articulated by pilasters, with flat-headed windows with radial bars in the top sashes. The right-hand linking section in the left-hand wing has its colonade set forward and infilled with late C20 plate glass, and blind first-floor windows. The central 3-storey triumphal arch has attached Roman Doric columns on pedestals to a projecting entablature, attic storey with a central swagged portrait panel of Queen Victoria inscribed VR 1858, cornice and parapet, and 4 fu1l-height trophies of arms above the columns and a gilded royal coat of arms in the centre; the middle bay has a tall round archway, with lower archways in the outer bays, and round sunken panels above. The archway has a coffered ceiling and a decorative iron lamp, and the main and side arches have swept iron gates with spear finials to the rear. Attached C20 iron railinsa to the basement area. INTERIOR: the barracks originally had back-to-back heated rooms either side of a spine wall, and lateral dogleg stairs; largely rebuilt internally. The most complete interior is the officers' mess, which has a dining room with an early C19 decorative scheme with marble fireplaces, enriched plaster walls and ceiling, Doric pilasters and frieze and a distyle in antis division, doors with 8 raised panels, architraves and enriched friezes above. HISTORY: essentially six late C18-style barracks linked together to form a more striking composition. Formerly including a theatre to the right-hand range, and rear courtyards laid out as a Roman military town with a cross of main roads ending in triumphal arches and including three riding schools, lecture rooms and stables (all demolished). This was one of the largest sites for military accommodation of its day in England. Shares a compositional system with Wyatt's other large artillery barracks at Brompton to create a more impressive facade. The officers' mess contains the best surviving barracks interior from its period, within one of the finest examples of military architecture in the country . (The Buildin~ of England: Pevsner N: London 2: South: London:1989-: 290; Plan and elevation: 1774-: PRO, WO78/1281, 1608).TQ 4377

Listing NGR: TQ4310478322

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Bridget, C and Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: London 2: South - Date: 1994 - Page References: 290

National Grid Reference: TQ 43104 78322

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 10:31:17.