List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE BAISH ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALL

List entry Number: 1078739

Location

THE BAISH ALMSHOUSES AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALL, 79-89, ROYDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityStanstead Abbots

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355963

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 31NW STANSTEAD ABBOTS ROYDON ROAD (south side) Stanstead Abbots village 5/51 Nos 79 to 89 (odd) (The Baish Almshouses) and attached forecourt 4.12.51 wall) (Formerly listed as The Baish's GV Almhouses) II*

Almshouses. 1653 for Sir Edward Baesh. Red brick in English- bond with a long steep old red tiled roof. A single storey row of 3 handed pairs of almshouses facing NW. Each pair has 2 plank doors together, in a heavy chamfered wooden frame, a 3- light ovolo-moulded casement window with ironcentral opening light for each house, a gable over the door with a single small 2-light ovolo-moulded window with leaded lattice glazing, and a shared central chimney with a pair of diagonally set shafts. Toothed corbel course below the eaves and low plastered plinth. Modern single-storey small additions at rear and each end. Red brick wall around elongated forecourt garden, taller at ends, reduced at front but with heavy sloped brick coping reinstated. Square gatepiers with stone caps and C20 wrought iron gate. A landmark at a bend in the road at the S end of the village.

Listing NGR: TL3901511533

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 39015 11533

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2014 at 05:05:30.