List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1078688

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireForest of DeanDistrict AuthorityChurcham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 125543

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 71 NE CHURCHAM BULLEY

11/10 Church of St. Michael

23.9.55

GV I

Parish Church; C12, C15, 1886 restoration by S. Gambier-Parry. Flattish random rubble with larger, squared quoins in nave, ashlar quoins and strings to chancel, timber-framed porch: tiled roof, shingled spire and bellcote. Nave, chancel, vestry, south porch, bellcote and spire over west-end of nave. South facade: low, plain plinth; main door left of centre, covered by 1886 porch. Flat- headed boarded door with cover strips: above, plain, semi-circular tympanum with moulding to outer edge. Nook shaft each side, with different capitals, one with a volute: chevron moulding to arch above. Beyond double chevron moulding all round. Voussoirs to both arches alternating red and white stone, probably originally same to jambs of doorway. Gabled porch on stone plinth with open, pointed arch on entry, 3-light windows in side walls; timber bench each side internally and open, rafter roof. On left of porch a small, C12 lancet, head carved from single stone. On right 2-light Perpendicular window, no hoodmould. Alternate ridge tiles crested. Left gable has copings for bottom half, then becomes hip for short section, followed by tiled, set back gable. Above square bellcote, with sloping sides, each with 2-light louvred opening: above broach spire with weathervane. Chancel, semi-octagonal east end. Plain plinth, moulded string at window-sill level, plain at springing level and window arches, continuing round them as hoodmould. Above plain, projecting eaves with hipped roof above, terminating in an iron cross. On south side 2 round-headed windows with splay to arris, in 3 eastern faces a single round-headed window, with a roll-moulding. Below, on eastern wall, a cross in a circle. Internally, nave and chancel plastered, stone margins to window reveals. Chancel arch has 2 recessed orders, columns with scalloped capitals, plain abacus extended on string across east wall of nave. Chevron moulding to both arches over, all in alternate red and white stone. Open C19 waggon rafter roof, with 2 trusses to carry bellcote. Traces of chevron painting on surrounds to two C12 north windows. Semi-octagonal east-end to chancel, wide arch to vestry, plain roll moulding to arch. String course at window-sill level, corner shafts with roll moulding to inner frame of eastern windows, plain splay to southern. Piscina to north, sedilia to south. Last, windows and vestry arch all alternate red and white stone. Boarded, pointed barrel vault ceiling. C12 font, plain bowl with roll moulding to upper and lower edges, on a plain circular shaft. Semi-octagonal panelled Jacobean pulpit, on C19 stone base. One 1763 wall monument. 1886 restoration renewed roof, bellcote, and spire, rebuilt porch and chancel and built vestry. (D. Verey: Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970; old photographs in church, painting in Churcham County Primary School).

Listing NGR: SO7617119756

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SO 76172 19755

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 01:08:20.