List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWER OF THE OLD CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1078012

Location

TOWER OF THE OLD CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHAPEL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireDacorumDistrict AuthorityTring Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355756

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRING RURAL CHAPEL LANE SP 8915 (North side) Long Marston 8/120 Tower of the Old Church 30.11.66 of All Saints GV II* Church tower. C15 (rest of church demolished 1883 and features incorporated in new Church of All Saints in Tring Road (q.v.)). Flint rubble faced with uncoursed knapped flint chequered with Totternhoe stone and with dressings of the same stone. C18 red brick crenellations and some restored heads to top openings. A slender square tower of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses and offsets, string course below upper stage, and low plinth. Small bell-stage openings, that on N complete with 4-centred pointed head and blind spandrels. Large W window of lower stage of 3 cinquefoiled lights with remains of leaded glazing. Narrow chamfered slit window to upper stage on E and S. Tall chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders blocked in rough stonework with pointed arched head over battened door. The interior is plastered and there is a scarsement below the heavily beamed floor of the bell chamber just above head of W window. 2 pairs of bull-nosed stone corbels set in N wall. Roof structure decayed and rubbish but no fittings in base of tower. The church was a chapel-of-ease in Tring parish up to 1867 and formerly had an aisleless nave, chancel, and S porch which were demolished in 1883. An architect's report on the ruinous state of the church in 1881 is printed as appendix I by Vincent. (VCH(1908)291:RCHM(1911)223 no. 2: Pevsner(1977)245: Vincent(1983).

Listing NGR: SP8942515611

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 291
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 245
Vincent, J E, Hertfordshire in the Twentieth Century An Historical Survey, (1988)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: SP 89425 15611

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 01:11:36.