List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CLOCK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1077999

Location

THE CLOCK HOUSE, MANSION DRIVE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireDacorumDistrict AuthorityTring

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 29-May-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355727

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRING MANSION DRIVE SP 9211 (West side) 11/91 The Clock House, Tring Park 21.9.51 (formerly listed as stables to the Mansion, Tring Park) GV II* Stable block, now school dormitory. '1709' on rainwaterheads, for William Gore, possibly by Gibbs. Plum brick with red brick dressings to openings, red rubbed arches, stone cornices and urns. Steep roofs now slated. A large 2-storeys block facing E with taller projecting centre surmounted by clock and 4 stone urns. Arcaded octagonal Doric cupola now missing. A striking Baroque design. Simple 5 windows long wings with terminal pilaster, tall round headed windows, slightly recessed box sashes with small panes and radial pattern in head, 6-panel door in lower part of middle window, smaller square-headed windows to 1st floor with small panes and moulded sills, and moulded stone cornice surmounted by brick parapet which appear to be additions. Wide projecting centre has square corner piers linked by a chamfered plinth, wide stone moulded cornice, brick parapet with stone copings, surmounted by tall gadrooned stone urns. Breaking middle of parapet 2 higher brick piers with similar tall stone urns flank a higher section with swept moulded copings, with octagonal framed large wooden clockface. 3 simple tall round headed flush box sash windows to 1st floor. Central painted wooden Corinthian doorcase with fluted pilasters, full entablature with fielded panel frieze, and cornice breaking forward over parallel end blocks and central block over keystone in archivolt. 8-panel fielded double doors with round headed fanlight and bolection surround. Door flanked by 2 projecting moulded brick aedicules with moulded cornice and hemicyle headed brick niche with stone base and square-headed flush box sash window, curved on plan, set in back. Round headed lower door openings next corners with panelled doors and semi-circular radial fanlights. Late C20 glazed block at front and buildings linked to rear not of special interest. (Pevsner(1977) 370).

Listing NGR: SP9258911186

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 21 Hertfordshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 370

National Grid Reference: SP 92589 11186

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 03:40:35.