List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEW HALL

List entry Number: 1077970

Location

NEW HALL, FANHAMS HALL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityWareside

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 356065

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 31NE WARE RURAL FANHAMS HALL ROAD (south side) Newhall Green 2/50 New Hall (Formerly listed under General) 24.1.67

GV II*

House. Late C15 open hall house on a moated site, converted by extension in C17 to a house intended for occupation by 2 households. Timber frame roughcast, some brick. Steep old red tile roofs. E plan house facing N with several gabled rear projections. Former open hall (part smoke blackened) in centre part with jettied W crosswing for parlour and a service bay. In C17 unusual transformation for two households. Upper floor inserted in hall (heightened) and chimney stack built partly in crosspassage. Present wide fireplace and chimney shafts are late C17 probably replacing a timber chimney serving the hall. This is unit 1 with a lobby entrance beside the stack. For the 2nd unit the service bay was heightened, its upper floor raised, and a jettied E crosswing added with 2 ground floor rooms, the front room unheated but the rear with a wide kitchen fireplace. Unit 2 was entered by the present crosspassage behind the stack. There were separate front doors, side by side, and similar staircase positions. 2-storeys, 5-windows. In the centre are twin doors with round-arched panelling under a porch having scratch moulded panelling and 2 seats inside. The porch is 2- storeyed, the upper room having a casement window and a bargeboarded gable, and being supported on timber posts. The bay at either side of the porch has 2 triple-casement windows (one above, one below) in flush moulded frames with pointed 'Gothic' arches, the lower ones with small hoods. Each end bay is a slightly projecting cross wing having steep gables with bargeboards and finials. The right hand bay retains its jettied upper floor supported on brackets, and a small canted bay window below. The left hand wing has a rectangular triple casement on the ground floor. Both end wings have a triple casement on the upper floor, with 'Gothic' fenestration under a triangular pediment. Central chimney stack with clustered diagonal shafts. A painted brick wing on the left to the rear is dated 1866. Interior has much scratch moulded oak panelling, heavy late C17 stair with string and turned balusters (W part), marble buffet in rear wall, heavy crown-post roof to W crosswing. (VCH (1912) 391: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3899616214

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, A - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1912 - Page References: 391

National Grid Reference: TL 38996 16214

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 03:34:00.