List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1077953

Location

REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, OLD CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityThundridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 356028

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 31NE THUNDRIDGE OLD CHURCH LANE (north side) Thundridge Bury 2/19 Remains of Old Church of St Mary and All Saints 24.1.67 II*

Church. W tower only remains. C15 tower with C12 doorway and C14 window set in blocking of tower arch when church demolished in 1853. Flint rubble with stone dressings and clunch moulded frames to openings. Roofed by a concrete slab at former parapet level. A tall 3-stage square W tower with diagonal buttreses at W corners. An internal spiral stair rises in the SW corner. W front has weathered string courses at each level with sloped plinth and protecting string course just above it. 3-light cusped C15 W window immediately over contemporary W door with 4 centred depressed head, hollow moulded jambs, spandrels, square surround and moulded label with grotesque heads as stops. Pointed loop to middle stage and 2-light traceried openings on each face of the bell stage. Large oval cast-iron tie plates at 2 levels on side walls. Chevron and dogtooth moulded arch and 2- light square headed, ogee traceried window with ferramenta and label with caved headstops, in blocking of equilateral C15 tower arch with hollow moulded imposts. Frame of hatchment fixed hiqh inside tower. Quatrefoil in circle dial stone on S face of tower. Stone slab dial fixed higher up on same face. Many carved C18 gravestones in surrounding churchyard with C17 and C18 brick wall. (RCHM (1911) 221: VCH (1912) 379: Pevsner (1977) 364).

Listing NGR: TL3681017335

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910 - Page References: 221
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, A - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1912 - Page References: 379
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 364

National Grid Reference: TL3681017335

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 08:55:10.