List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ELSING MILL INCLUDING WHEEL HOUSE AND WHEEL ADJOINING EAST

List entry Number: 1077361

Location

ELSING MILL INCLUDING WHEEL HOUSE AND WHEEL ADJOINING EAST, MILL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorfolkBrecklandDistrict AuthorityElsing

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1991

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 220747

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following item shall be added:

TG 01 NE ELSING MILL STREET

3/41 Elsing Mill including Wheel House and wheel adjoining east

II

Water Mill, converted into a house. 1809, converted in late C20. Painted brick and weatherboarded timber frame on second floor. Pantile roof with shaped barge boards to gable ends. Brick gable end stacks. L-shaped on plan with wing at rear of right hand end (SW) wheel house at left (east) end and outshut on right (west) end. 3 storeys and attic. 4 window north front with C20 casement windows, those on ground floor and first floor are segmentally headed openings. Doorway at centre, another on first floor to right. Gabled hoist housing cantilevered out to right of centre above eaves. Single storey weatherboarded wheelhouse on left (east) end with painted brick gable end and pantile roof; at rear the wheelhouse has 2 windows with boarded shutters and plank door to left. At rear of main mill building the wing on right has gable end. INTERIOR: unchamfered cross-beams on hanging knee braces. Some timber framing exposed at rear end and on second floor. Tenoned (or butt) purlin roofs but over main range the purlins are missing. All machinery has been removed except for sluice gates and gearing in rear wing and in the wheel-house low-breast undershot treble wheel with cast iron naves, arms and rings and wooden shaft and floats survive intact.

Note: Built in 1809 as a paper mill on the site of an earlier mill. In 1834 or before it became a corn and seed crushing mill and was the Bylaugh estate mill before it was sold in 1917. Water power was replaced by electricity in circa 1930's and later stones were replaced by a hammer mill. Machinery was taken out when it was converted into a house in the late C20. Situated on River Wensum.

Listing NGR: TG0498717690

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 04987 17690

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 03:17:13.