List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1077229

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorfolkBrecklandDistrict AuthorityNorth Pickenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 221038

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH PICKENHAM THE STREET TF 80 NE 5/41 Church of St. Andrew 23.6.60 II*

Parish church. Largely rebuilt 1863 by D. Male, but retaining much of earlier west tower and north transept. Flint with limestone dressings. Roof slated, with crested ridge to nave and chancel; copper covered south aisle roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north transept, south aisle, south porch. South porch with angle-buttresses to gable; crocketted pinnacles and gable cross. Niche over doorway with cusped ogee head. Two-light west window, blocked east window opening. Windows generally have 19th century Decorated tracery with stilted hood moulds and head stops. East gable has a plinth with an inscription recording the rebuilding work of 1863. Staged buttresses to north and south walls. North transept has parapeted gable with staged angle buttresses; four-light Perpendicular north window and three-light Perpendicular east window. North wall of nave has central buttress dividing window bays above which rises a chimney stack, with octagonal stone shaft. Angle buttress at north west corner containing the date 1863. West tower largely medieval with restored openings. Staged angle buttresses to west wall. Square stair turret at south-east corner. Castellated parapet. North transept contains wall monuments. Very low doorway into east wall of tower with single hollow chamfer to arch. Sanctus bell opening above tower arch.

Listing NGR: TF8655406920

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 86554 06920

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 01:23:53.