List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY

List entry Number: 1077171

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY, VICARAGE WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WalsallMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219157

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for;

WALSALL VICARAGE WALK SP 0198 SW 15/99 Church of St Mary and attached presbytery II

the grade shall be amended to read, II* (star).

------------------------------------

WALSALL MB VICARAGE WALK SP 0198 SW 15/99 Church of St Mary and attached presbytery - II Roman Catholic church. 1825 - 7 by Joseph Ireland, with presbytery of 1833. Stuccoed brick with slate roof. Greek style, with moulded plinth, giant Doric pilasters, entablature, and pediments at east and west. West wall has clasping pilasters, and two further pilasters flanking the doorway, which slopes inwards towards the top. This has an architrave and moulded cornice. The north and south walls are each of five bays, the outer ones recessed between pilasters. The windows have lugged architraves and a sill band. The east wall is similar to the west wall, but has no openings. To its left is a single storey one-bay link to the presbytery, which is pedimented and of two storeys and three bays. The two left-hand bays have a single bay window on the ground floor. The doorway is in the right hand bay. Interior: the church has a shallow coffered tunnel vault. The west gallery with organ is carried on two Doric columns. At the east end are four engaged fluted Ionic columns with entablature, with pilasters on the return walls which have acanthus necking.

Listing NGR: SP0121698031

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 01216 98031

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 04:47:37.