List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1076554

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityEverdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360721

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EVERDON HIGH STREET SP5957 (South side) 22/71 Church of St. Mary 18/01/68 GV I Church. Early C14, restored c.1860 and 1891-92 by Bodley and Garner. Coursed squared ironstone and ironstone ashlar with some limestone dressings; lead roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, west tower. 3-bay chancel has 5-light C19 Perpendicular style window, 2-light windows with Y-tracery to south, 2 similar windows to north and C19 vestry to north-east. Nave has clerestory with four 2-light Perpendicular windows with segmental heads north and south. North aisle has 3-light east and west windows with reticulated tracery to north, one to west of porch, two to east. Many-moulded north door has 3 orders of shafts and foliage capitals to left, plain to right, within gabled north porch with double-chamfered doorway. One-light cusped windows east and west. South aisle has 4-light east windows with Curvilinear tracery either side of porch, and 3-light west window with reticulated tracery. South door has many-moulded arch ornamented with fleurons innermost, then ballflower and stem with leaves suggesting trailing vine outermost; 3 shafts and foliage capitals; crocketed ogee hood mould with finial. South porch has chamfered and shallow hollow-chamfered doorway, inner arch resting on polygonal capitals and responds; one-light blocked windows east and west. Sundial above doorway. 3-stage west tower has 2-light Decorated window (renewed), small one-light cusped windows to north, south and west, and 2-light Decorated bell-openings . Tower and south aisle diagonal buttresses and buttresses between bays of chancel and aisles, all off-set. Plain stone coped parapets throughout except for north porch which is stone coped only, the tower having renewed pyramidal pinnacles to each corner. All windows have hood moulds some with fine carved head label stops. Interior: chancel has 3-bay sedilia with cusped ogee heads and crocheted hood moulds, a many-cusped tomb recess to north-east and chamfered priest's door to north roof, choir stalls and organ-case of 1891-2 by Bodley and Garner. Chancel arch has double wave-moulded arch the innermost on polygonal responds. C14 rood screen. Nave has 4-bay arcades with sunk chamfered arches on circular moulded capitals and circular piers with wide fillets. Tie beam roof of 1755. Piscina at east end of north aisle (south side) and south-east end of south aisel. Octagonal C13 Purbeck marble font, with 2 blank pointed arches to east side, on renewed stem and colonettes; C19 timber cover with ogee volutes supporting finial. C17 communion table in south aisle. Pulpit of 1808, octagonal, on base of 1892. Royal Arms of George III, oil on canvas, in tower together with painted Charity Board and funeral hatchment. West gallery of uncertain date, much renewed 1892 with staircase with turned balusters giving access to roofs. Glazing mostly clear glass with many old crown glass quarries; some medieval stained glass fragments including, a Pelican in her Piety in north-west nave window and deer in south aisle. Stain glass east window of chancel (1906), east window, south aisle (1921) and other south aisle windows by Burlison and Grylls. Wall monument to Thomas and Dorothy Spencer, set up 1606, of alabaster with English marble columns with Corinthian capitals framing inscription. Brasses of 1613 to Adam Robyns and 1605 to Timothy Dod. Buildings of England: 1973, p.210; Christopher Dalton, The Church of St. Mary, Everdon (Guide) 1975, revised 1982).

Listing NGR: SP5946457434

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Dalton, C - Title: The Church of St Mary Everdon - Date: 1982
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 210

National Grid Reference: SP 59464 57434

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2014 at 04:48:08.