List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1076538

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityNewnham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360785

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWNHAM CHURCH HILL SP5859 (East side) 15/139 Church of St. Michael and All 18/01/68 Angels (Formerly listed as Church of St. Michael GV I Church. C14 and C15 with C13 origins, restored C19. Coursed squared ironstone, red and grey sandstone dressings, some limestone, lead roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower and spire. 2-bay chancel has 5-light east window with intersecting tracery and hood mould, angle buttresses and between bays of red sandstone and 2-light windows with Decorated tracery north and south; priest's door to south with pointed head and sunk chamfer. Nave has clerestory with four 2-light Perpendicular windows north and south with straight heads and hood moulds and sanctus bellcote to east gable on corbels. North aisle has 3-light Perpendicular east window, larger 3-light Perpendicular window to north-east, a 3-light window to north-west with reticulated tracery and 2-light Perpendicular west window with depressed head. C19 vestry with gabled tiled roof and one-light window to north. North door within has C13 double-chamfered pointed arch with inner arch resting on moulded capitals and shafts; hood mould with saw-tooth ornament. South aisle has 3-light Perpendicular east window and similar window to south-east, 3-light windows either side of porch with C19 Decorated tracery and 3-light west window with reticulated tracery. South door has many-moulded arch with 2 orders of fleurons and hood mould. South porch dated 1619(?) has doorway with round-head arch on imposts with datestone above, and flanking buttresses. 3-stage tower has lowest stage open on 3 sides with double-chamfered arches with hood moulds and rib vault springing from corbel heads with edge ribs and large bell-hole; doors to nave and smaller door to south to stair turret. Middle stage has niche with nodding ogee head to west and narrow chamfered rectangular windows with straight heads north and south. 2-light bell-openings with cusped Y-tracery, battlemented parapet and recessed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions. Clerestory, aisles and chancel have plain stone-coped parapets. Interior: chancel has piscina with cusped head and fine Perpendicular roof with moulded purlins and ridge. Chancel arch has 2 continuous sunk quadrant mouldings. Nave has 4-bay arcades; that to north with 2 quatrefoil piers of c.1300 (pevsner); easternmost pier and those to south aisle C15 and octagonal with polygonal responds - north-east respond of angel bearing shield. Double-chamfered arches to north, hollow chamfered to south. Aisle roofs much renewed; north aisle roof probably C18. Box pews in aisles and at back of church date from re-pewing of 1826. Early C17 communion table. Commandment, Creed and Lords Prayer Boards. Communion rails with stick balusters. Royal Arms of Queen Anne over west door j oil on board. Brass to Letitia Catesby made at time of death of her husband Robert in 1467 placed on wall above pulpit. Wall monumnet in chancel of alabaster to Thomas Thornton d.1632 and C19 marble wall tablets to various owners of Newnham Hall. A Mr. Hussey, architect, was consulted in 1844 and paid 5 18s 6d, probably R.C. Hussey and responsible for Decorated tracery in north and south aisles. (Church Wardens Accounts; Buildings of England: Northants, p,312; A brief guide, Newnham Parish Church (no date).

Listing NGR: SP5809759727

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 312

National Grid Reference: SP 58097 59727

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 11:00:16.