List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1076520

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityWeedon Bec

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360844

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEDON BEC CHURCH STREET SP6319 (North side) Lower Weedon 17/197 Church of St. Peter and St. 18/01/68 Paul (Formerly listed as Church of St. Peter) GV II* Church. Late C12 tower, body of church rebuilt 1825, chancel of 1863 by E.F. Law. Church re-seated and organ chamber added 1878. Coursed squared ironstone, slate roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light Perpendicular style east window, diagonal offset buttresses, organ chamber to north with 2-light east window with Y-tracery and north door with pointed chamfered arch, a priest's door with chamfered pointed arch between 2-light Decorated style windows. Body of church, nave and aisles in one, has 3-light pointed arched windows throughout with simple iron tracery, diamond leading and hood moulds and north and south porches both with 1825 datestones; doorway of north porch blocked (it now serves as a vestry). Offset buttresses between bays, diagonal offset buttresses to angles. 3-stage west tower of limestone and ironstone rubble with ironstone quoins, has west door with 4-centred head, cut spandrels and hood moulds, a 3-light Perpendicular window directly above with hood mould. Middle stage has narrow one-light windows to west and south with rounded heads and relieving arches. Bell openings have round-arched heads and outer arches with shafts, imposts and hood moulds. Battlemented parapet with string course below and to middle and belfry stages. Interior: chancel arch of 1863 has many-moulded arch and shafts with richly carved flower and foliage capitals. Nave has 5-bay timber arcades with thin octagonal columns and Tudor arches with open spandrels; similar arches between aisle bays. Flat, cross-beamed roofs to aisles, coved plaster ceiling to nave with small central octagonal ribbed dome. Tower arch is low and pointed with imposts. A medieval carved column base supports a miniature copy of the Winchester Cathedral font from chapel of Ordnance Depot (Weedon Barracks q.v.). Painted Hanoverian Royal Arms over tower arch. Various minor C19 wall monuments. (Buildings of England: Northants, p.447-8).

Listing NGR: SP6333659283

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 447-448

National Grid Reference: SP 63336 59283

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 06:13:48.