List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1076507

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, DAVENTRY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityNorton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360809

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTON DAVENTRY ROAD SP66SW (East side) 5/163 Church of All Saints 18/01/68 GV I Church. Cl3, C14 and C15, chancel rebuilt early C18, and again Cl9; church restored and chancel floor relaid 1898. Ironstone ashlar, coursed squared ironstone and ironstone rubble, some limestone dressings, copper roofs except for tiled roofs of chancel and south porch. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north porch/vestry, south porch, west tower. Chancel has 3-light Perpendicular style Cl9 east window, south-west door with moulded surround and plank door, stone eaves and stone-coped east gable with kneelers. Nave has clerestory with 2-light chamfered stone mullion windows with leaded lights, moulded stone surrounds and hood moulds to north and similar windows to south alternating with 2-light arch-mullion windows, with plain parapet to north and battlemented parapet to south. North aisle has 2-light Decorated east window, 3-light Perpendicular windows to north and 2-light Decorated west window with top circle enclosing 3 trefoils. C19 vestry in position of a north porch with 2-light Decorated style north window. South aisle has 2-light Decorated east window. 3-light Decorated windows to south with curvilinear tracery and 3-light Perpendicular west window. Scratch dial to left of south-west window. C13 south door with shafts and capitals, one with faces, bearing many moulded arch; hood mould with label stops and head at apex of arch. Double-leaf 10-panel C18 door. South porch has hollow-chamfered doorway and 2-light cusped window to west side. Both aisles have early C18 lead rainwater heads and pipes. Painted sundial at south-west end of clerestory. 3-stage west tower has set-back buttresses to first stave, lancet window above and to south side, 2-light Decorated bell openings and battlemented parapet. Most windows have hood moulds, some with label stops. Interior: single-bay chancel has plaster barrel vault roof with moulded ridge and wall plates. C19 stain-glass east window of 1847 by Willement. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave has fine 6-bay arcades with quatrefoil piers and capitals and one sunk quadrant moulding to south, 2 sunk quadrants to north, some partly double-chamfered. Piscina at east end of north aisle with many-moulded triangular head to east end. South aisle with ogee head. Double-chamfered tower arch concealed by early C19 west gallery and 2-storey mid C18 west screen behind organ with round-headed arches with keyblocks, topped by former reredos with painted and gilded commandment, Lords Prayer and Creed boards with segmental dentilled arch over central commandment panel and moulded cornice with central segmental arch. C20 nave roof, C17 tie beam roof to north and south aisles. Tie beam in vestry inscribed Repaired 1699. Complete scheme of C19 stained glass with single figures and armorial panels to aisle windows. Late C17 communion table at east end of north aisle. Octagonal Jacobean pulpit. C18 panelled box pews cut-down to converted to open pews. Fine set of funeral hatchments. Royal Arms of Queen Anne dated 1709, oil on board, in tower. Good set of monuments including: brass to William Knight d.1501 and his wife Katherine d.1504; painted alabaster monument with recumbent praying effigy in coffered arch flanked by black marble Corinthian columns and outer obelsiks and topped by armorial panels, to Lady Elizabeth Seymour d.1602, 2nd wife of Sir Richard Knightley; wall monuments to Dudley Knightley d.1602, Nicholas Breton d.1624 with broken pediment flanked by cherubs, Ann Breton d.1635 of similar proportions with broken segmental pediment framing wreathed skull and flanked by obelisks with diamond bosses supported by cherub's heads; large wall monument to Anne Verney d.1633 with kneeling figure in round-arched niche with broken segmental pediment flanked by angels supporting arms; Nicholas Breton d.1658 and his wife Elizabeth with busts of each and framed by composite columns supporting broken segmental pediment: Charlotte Botfield d.1825 by William Behnes with life-size figure of mourning son. (Buildings of England: Northants, p.359; Kellys Directory for Northants, 1898; Norton All Saints and Village guide (no date).

Listing NGR: SP6030763701

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Norton All Saints Church and Village Guide
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Bedfordshire Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire - Date: 1898 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 259

National Grid Reference: SP 60307 63701

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 12:39:56.