List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1076479

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, RECTORY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityBarby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360950

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARBY RECTORY LANE SP57NW (South side) 1/60 Church of St. Mary 18/01/68

GV II*

Church. C13 and C14, restored C19. Squared coursed sandstone and sandstone ashlar, partly coursed ironstone rubble in south aisle, slate and lead roofs. Chancel with south aisle, aisled nave, north and south porches, west tower. Two 2-light windows with Y-tracery in north wall of chancel are c.1300. All other windows have C19 tracery. The mouldings around doorways have been renewed and the porches rebuilt. Tower, c.1300, is less altered and has a west lancet, bell openings with Y-tracery, a frieze of trefoiled arches with head corbels and moulded parapet with inscription "E.J.S.R. Church Warden, 1660", probably recording a restoration. Interior: chancel has 3-bay south arcade with quatrefoil piers and double chamfered arches. 4-bay nave arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals carved with heads and shields and double chamfered arches. Small re-set Anglo Saxon window to west of south doorway, also fragment of a medieval coffin slab with scroll decoration (badly eroded) is set in wall to west of south doorway. C18 altar rails with turned balusters. Set of stained glass by Kempe and Tower starting from 1901. An early C14 "Nativity" (restored) in the east window of the north aisle. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.100-101).

Listing NGR: SP5433270295

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 100-101

National Grid Reference: SP 54332 70295

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 04:51:01.