List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1076396

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WalsallMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219082

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALSALL MB THE GREEN SK OO SE Aldridge 5/42 Church of St Mary The Virgin (formerly listed under 11.08.51 Aldridge UD) GV II* Church. C14, with south aisle of 1841. Extensively restored 1852-3 by Salvin, when the north aisle and chancel were rebuilt. South vestry added 1975. Red sandstone, with some limestone rubble exposed in tower. Tile roof. Comprises a west tower, nave, north aisle under pitched roof, south aisle, and lower chancel. The tower has diagonal buttresses, three string courses, and an embattled parapet. The openings have straight-sided pointed arches. The bell openings each have a mullion and transom. The west window is of two lights with flowing tracery. The west doorway is moulded with crocketed hood and head stops. The south aisle is of five bays, the windows pointed and having flowing tracery of various descriptions. The gabled porch, at the left, has a pointed outer arch with attached columns as responds. The north aisle is of five bays separated by buttresses and has 2-light windows. The east window is of three-lights with flowing tracery. Interior: four-bay nave arcades, with further bay on north side opening into chancel. Northern arches of sandstone, 4-centred, and chamfered in two orders. Piers octagonal with capitals. South arcade similar, but plastered except for the west bay. The pointed tower arch is chamfered in two orders. Nave roof has queen-post trusses with a central strut and with V-struts above the collar. The east bay of the nave has a collar-rafter roof and the chancel has bolted softwood trusses with arch-braced collars. Chancel has piscina, and an early C14 effigy in an arched recess. A second defaced effigy of similar date stands on a later stone base in the south aisle. Re-set on the north wall of the north aisle are several C18 wall tablets. The timber pulpit has carving in a Jacobean style, and at the west end of the south aisle is a bread cupboard dated: "TP 1694". Windows contain late C19 glass. One window in the south aisle dated 1865, by Powell. (BoE, Staffs, p 53; Gould, J: "Observations at Aldridge Church, Staffs", South Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society Transactions, 1975, pp 47-52).

Listing NGR: SK0601400735

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 53
Gould, J, 'South Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society Transactions' in Observations at Aldridge Church Staffordshire, (1975), 47-52

National Grid Reference: SK 06014 00735

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 12:59:21.