List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1076358

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, HAMSTEAD ROAD, LOZELLS B19

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BirminghamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 217227

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 09 SE 3/16 5104

BIRMINGHAM HAMSTEAD ROAD Lozells B19 Church of St Mary

(Formerly listed under Handsworth)

25.4.52

II*

Of C12-early C13 origin but much enlarged and rebuilt completely in the C19. Red sandstone with nave, aisles, chancel and south tower. In a Decorated style. Some of the C19 detailing apparently unfinished. The lower stage of the tower with shallow square buttresses gives evidence of the earliest work; upper part with crenellated parapet C15. The C19 rebuilding programme began in 1820 when the first major changes were executed by William Hollins who rebuilt the north arcade and aisle with the addition of a spacious north transept and body beyond. The south east chapel in a single Decorated Gothic style was added in 1826 by Thomas Rickman as a mausoleum to James Watt whose white marble statue by Chantrey of 1825 it contained. Further alterations and additions followed in 1876-80 altering part of Hollins work to the designs of J A Chatwyn. His work comprises the rebuilding of the south aisle and the extension of the body of the church to the west and the chancel to the east. At this time the north transept was narrowed and an outer north aisle constructed. The north chapel retains an early C16 3-light east window and a similar one to the north. In the west end of its north wall, a 4 centred arched doorway opening on to an early C18 porch. Reset early C14 piscina east of the arcade. The south chapel with simple early C19 Gothic detail including a vaulted ceiling and east window. In the west wall of the tower giving on the south aisle is a small blocked round headed window with moulded string over seemingly late C12 origin. Among the furnishings are a good wall monument by Flaxman consisting of a bust of Matthew Boulton + 18O9 with 2 putti below one of them holding a picture of the Soho Works and another monument to William Murdoch + 1839 consisting of a stone bust by Chantrey set in a pointed arch. Also a number of minor monuments by William and Peter Hollins. The church is set in a leafy churchyard with very many and varied monuments.



Listing NGR: SP0557190308

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 05571 90308

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 05:21:47.