List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARYVALE INSTITUTE

List entry Number: 1076213

Location

MARYVALE INSTITUTE, OLD OSCOTT HILL B44

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BirminghamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Jan-1995

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 217475

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 09 SE 3/26

BIRMINGHAM OLD OSCOTT HILL Old Oscott (B44) Maryvale Institute

(Formerly listed as Maryvale Convent (Convent of Mercy)) (Formerly listed as St Mary's Convent of Mercy, Maryvale)

25.4.52

II*

Roman Catholic theological institute, originally RC bishop's house. The oldest part of the building is the 1752 house built for the RC Bishop, Thomas Hornyhold; red brick, 3 storeys, symmetrical 3-bays, 2 windows per bay, articulated by plain pilasters, moulded wood eaves cornice, old tile roof, flanking corniced chimney stacks, sash windows with glazing bars and flat stucco arches and key blocks on ground and first floor; open-well stair and 1752 chapel on second floor, now subdivided but with cornice surviving. 1778 [first Catholic Relief Act] brick chapel, externally plain, with round-arched windows, added at right-angles and open through two storeys with Ionic order, murals, only the classical wooden reredos and a now detached late C17 Flemish baroque altar survive from the various reorderings. John Milner added in 1800 the Sanctuary, in 1809 the long 3-storey wing at right-angles to the original house with simple stick baluster and ramped handrail staircase, and in 1816 Milner added tile external colonnade to link both buildings and a 2-storey lecture room, now reduced to a single storey Doric portico. Also in 1816 Milner added on the second floor the Sacred Heart Chapel, a vaulted room with delicate Gothic stucco detailing; tile stained glass, image of the Sacred Heart, is probably by Eginton, the Birmingham stained glass pioneer. Maryvale is very significant in the history of the Roman Catholic Church in England. It was a Roman Catholic Mission in the C17 and from 1794-1834 the Catholic Seminary of the Midlands. From 1846-48 it was the first Catholic congregation following Newman's conversion. Source: Mulvey, B. St Mary in the Valley, A History of Maryvale House.



Listing NGR: SP0741594534

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Mulvey, B - Title: St Mary in the Valley A History of Maryvale House

National Grid Reference: SP 07415 94534

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 02:10:23.