List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STRATFORD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1076165

Location

STRATFORD HOUSE, STRATFORD PLACE B11

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BirminghamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Jul-1982

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 217654

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD PLACE 1. 5104 Highgate B11 Stratford House (formerly listed under Camp Hill, Bordesley) SP 0885 NW 53/12 25.4.52 II* 2. Dated 1601 and built for Ambrose Rotton and his wife Bridget. Remarkable survival of a 2 storey and attic timber framed and plastered manor house, the ground floor partly refaced and underpinned in painted brick to support jetty. Gabled cross wing to left and off centre gable and slightly smaller gable to right, all slightly jettied on moulded brackets. Central 2 storey gabled porch with first floor projecting on long angle brackets. Between the cross wing and the porch either side of the modern brick window bay the studding is exposed with a row of blocked wood mullion lights high set on same level as the open one to sides of porch. The first floor studding is braced in herring bone pattern and the gables have short curved braces forming diamond patterns. Square headed moulded jamb opening to porch with date on and initials on moulded cornice. The original battened and studded door remains in situ with similar case to that of porch. Renewed old tile roof with rebuilt clustered brick chimney stack, diamond shafted, set on ridge by cross wing. Three light transomed metal casements with leaded lights replacing C18 iron casements at time of restoration in the 195Os. Stratford House underwent considerable internal alteration in the 1820-30s when a rear brick built staircase wing and corridor were added. Most of the door furniture is of this period but the 2 front rooms, flanking the studded passage from the front door, retain chamfered ceiling beams dividing the plastered ceiling, with deep cornice mouldings, into 2 compartments. The left hand room retains 4 centred arch stone chimney piece and there is a similar chimney piece, cased in a reeded early C19 surround, to the first floor room of the cross wing. The back landing has exposed portion of the original outside wall framing with a hammer-head wall post by the attic stairs. The attics are plastered but the functions of some of the rafters (partly renewed) and the framing of the gables are partially exposed.



Listing NGR: SP0732485648

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 08181 85548

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 05:29:53.