List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GREAT HALL AND QUADRANT RANGE

List entry Number: 1076133

Location

GREAT HALL AND QUADRANT RANGE, UNIVERSITY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BirminghamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Jan-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Jul-1982

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 217678

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UNIVERSITY ROAD 1. 5104 Edgbaston B15 Great Hall and Quadrant Range formerly listed as Birmingham University (Main Buildings) SP 08 SW 11/4 21.1.70 II* 2. 1900-1909 by Sir Aston Webb and Ingress Bell, the D plan group main university building of which only part were completed to the original design. The Great Hall opposite the tower is the central axial building, to its front is a square entrance hall with a giant round arched mullioned window, above an ornate frieze over the loggia doorways, flanked by tapering square corner turrets (to rear as well) which are topped by small ribbed domes. Over the hall rises a low octagonal drum supporting a large ribbed dome and a miniature lantern. Red brick and stone and buff terracotta dressings, but the conception is more Byzantine than Renaissance. Behind the domed and galleried entrance hall with ornate Renaissance grotesque relief carving, lies the Great Hall itself, a vast tunnel vaulted space with cross vaulted 2 storey side galleries. Rich grotesque carving. Lavish stained glass by T R Spence. The centrepiece of the hall has 2 storey quadrant links forming the wing pavilions, 2 to the west but only one completed to the east. These relate on a smaller 2 storey scale to the Great Hall being square on plan and with similar ribbed domes but with round corner turrets, wings extending behind. Flat lintelled window ranges on ground floor and large frescoed friezes by Anning Bell below the parapets on the first floor level. The link ranges have segmental arched windows. Modern part to east not of special interest.



Listing NGR: SP0472283539

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 04801 83468

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 02:10:36.