List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTH EAST RANGE AT THE LADY KATHERINE LEVESON HOSPITAL, SOUTH WEST RANGE AT THE LADY KATHERINE LEVESON HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1075996

Location

NORTH EAST RANGE AT THE LADY KATHERINE LEVESON HOSPITAL, SOUTH WEST RANGE AT THE LADY KATHERINE LEVESON HOSPITAL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SolihullMetropolitan AuthorityBalsall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Jul-1976

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 218043

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. BALSALL TEMPLE BALSALL 5108 North-East Range at the Lady Katherine Leveson Hospital South-West Range at the Lady Katherine Leveson Hospital (Formerly listed as the Hospital (Lady Katherine Leveson' Almhouses ) SP 27 NW 11/157 11,ll.52. SP 27 NW 11/157A II* GV

2. Founded 1677, built by William Hurlbutt in early C18. Hospital incorporated 1704, 27 residents by 1721. Narrow courtyard flanked by 2 long ranges in red brick dressed with sandstone. Ripped old tiled roofs. Shorter cross wings at south-east end. 2 storeys, with attics to cross wings. 1st floor bands. 2 light stone mullion and stone mullion and transom casement windows with glazing bars, flush set in plain surrounds. Central facing pediments with round panels in tympana. Gabled north-west cross wings. Some rebuilding, 1725-6, by Smith of Warrick.

Church of Saint Mary, Templars Hall, North East Range, South West Range, Entrance Gateway and side Walls at the Lady Katherine Leveson Hospital, Vicarage and Temple House form a group.

Listing NGR: SP2076176046

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 20733 76046

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 04:42:18.