List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST AIDAN

List entry Number: 1075923

Location

CHURCH OF ST AIDAN, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
St. HelensMetropolitan AuthorityBillinge Chapel End

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Aug-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 216304

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 50 SW BILLINGE CHAPEL END MAIN STREET (east side)

2/14 Church of 23.8.66 Saint Aidan (Formerly listed under General) G.V. II*

Church. Dated 1718 over entrance; transept dated 1907 by T. G. Jackson. Stone with stone slate roof. 4-bay nave, transept and re-sited apse. Nave has flat Doric pilastrade with Ionic entablature; embattled parapet with urns. Round- headed windows have triple keystones and 3-light reticulated tracery. West front has paired pilasters at each end with triglyph frieze above. Doric porch supporting turret with Ionic angle pilasters and entablature. Clock face above 3- light straight-headed window with reticulated tracery. Bell housed in cupola on Tuscan columns between 4 urns; ball- finial and weather vane. Entrance has architrave and overlight. North transept has hipped roof and 2 two-light windows; south transept has 4-light window with 2 king mullions and foundation stone. Round apse dismantled and reconstructed in 1907. 3 windows as nave, the central one an insertion. Facade as nave but with balustrade. Wall tablet to Rev. H. Walley (died 1748). Interior: Round- arched arcades with Doric columns on high plinths, tunnel- vaulted roof. West gallery on slender iron columns, the church originally had side galleries, removed c.1907. C18 brass chandelier in nave. Organ in north transept, south transept forms chapel. Apse has fluted Corinthian flat pilastrade and cherubs in frieze. Painted board in nave commemorates rebuilding of 1717-1718. Some stained glass windows. A good example of an early Georgian church.

Listing NGR: SD5332600697

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 53326 00697

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 06:42:37.