List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MAIN BLOCK TO OSCOTT COLLEGE

List entry Number: 1075635

Location

MAIN BLOCK TO OSCOTT COLLEGE, COLLEGE ROAD, NEW OSCOTT B23

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BirminghamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jan-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 216975

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SF 09 SE 3/12 5104

COLLEGE ROAD New Oscott B23 Main block to Oscott College

(Formerly listed as Main block to St Mary's College) (Formerly listed as St Marys Seminary excluding Chapel and The Chapel of St Marys Seminary under Moseley)

25.4.52

II*

1835-38. Planned as a Roman Catholic College, following the Emancipation, by Dr Mirk,the missioner at Lichfield, with Joseph Potter of Lichfield as builder and architect but with Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin providing the decoration and finishes of the Chapel and the sculpture. Red brick stone dressed college buildings in a simple Tudor style ranged with a main front to the south-east with gables end crenellated parapets; mullioned-transomed windows. The central block of the south-east range is of 4 bays on 3 storeys and has gables flanking the central tower with tiered large oriel window and octagonal staircase turret. Lying behind this block is the cloister flanked on one side by the Chapel and museum and on the other by the 1920s addition of the informary, but with original coach house range and plain service wing behind it of red brick with slate roofs. In 1837 Lord Shrewsbury introduced Pugin to the College and he immediately supplemented Potter in the decoration and furnishings of the Chapel and the firm executed much of the furniture still servicing in the College. Potter's simple still Georgian Chapel, albeit with a Tudor style roof, was completely decorated by Pugin in rich polychrome patterns which together with the furnishings, a number C15, C16 or C17 acquired in the Low Countries by Pugin and Shrewsbury during their tour in 1841, form a unique combination of medieval and Revival Gothic, following the principles enunciated in his 'Contrasts' of 1836. Pugin's only structural alteration was the provision of the shallow apse in 1861. Edward Welby Pugin added the Weedall Chantry: the four side chapels to the south-west. Stained glass by Hardman and Warrington, the latter executing the exceptionally fine east window to Pugin's design on a C14 model. To the north-east of Potter's cloister is Northcote Hall of 1859 by Edward Welby Pugin completed in 1881 by Peter Paul Pugin, red brick stone dressed in demonstrative Gothic and the library and students' common room added 1927-8 and 1950-72 respectively by G B Cox.



Listing NGR: SP0988894038

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 09888 94038

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 05:19:42.