List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1075535

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HUYTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KnowsleyMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 215267

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUYTON-WITH-ROBY HUYTON LANE SJ 49 SW (north side) 5/9 Church of 6/6/51 St. Michael

G.V. II*

Church. South arcade, and chancel C14, tower C14, the top dated 1664, north aisle and arcade 1815, south aisles 1822; Case Mausoleum, now vestry, 1681. Stone with stone slate chancel roof. Nave aisles under hipped roofs, chancel, west tower and north vestry. Tower has moulded base; diagonal buttresses with pinnacles at bell stage. West entrance has continuous mouldings; frieze over has roundels and quatrefoils with shields; drip mould over; bell stage has sill course and 3-light louvred bell openings with uncusped Perpendicular tracery; cornice with gargoyles and embattled parapet with obelisk pinnacles with iron vanes. South aisle has embattled parapet and diagonal buttresses; 2-light windows with uncusped Perpendicular tracery and hood moulds with foliate stops. Porch similar with elaborate wrought iron lamp bracket. Rainwater heads are dated. North aisle similar. Clerestory has embattled parapet and 3-light windows. Chancel has 3 lights with recessed arched heads to south, and original south priest's door, with strap hinges and studs. 5-light east window. Vestry has connecting passage to north of chancel; cornice, parapet with panelled pilasters; east entrance, now window, with bolection moulded architrave, broken segmental pediment with obelisk; south blind vesica. Interior: 5-bay arcades, double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Roof probably C16 has moulded principal rafters and purlins, cambered tie beams. Tower arch has C19 timber screen. Early Norman font, round, with arcading and heads, rosettes to rim. C15 font, octagonal with shields in quatrefoils. Charity board dated 1710. Chancel screen c.1500, removed during Civil War and replaced with repairs 1663. Octagonal timber pulpit with tracery. Chancel roof, C17, false hammer-beam roof has tracery panels, pendants and wind braces. North organ loft. Reredos has niches with tall canopies. Wrought iron altar rail, 2 windows to south aisle by Holiday, 1883 and 1885. Vestry has memorial in architrave with scrolly crest. Alabaster effigy of priest, John de Winwick, 1359.

Listing NGR: SJ4426791130

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 44267 91130

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 12:23:46.