List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1075458

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 215379

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEBINGTON CHURCH LANE SJ 38 SE (north side) Eastham 7/60 Church of 27.12.62 St. Mary

G.V. II

Church. Late C13 to early C14, north chapel and aisles, C15, drastically restored 1870s by D. Walker. Stone, tile roofs with fishscale bands. Nave with gabled aisles, west tower, chancel,north chapel and south vestry. 4-bay nave has aisles with cornice and parapet, 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, mostly C19. Single lights to clerestory. West end has 2-light windows to aisles. Tower has deep diagonal buttresses with stepped-weathered heads; west 2-light window, to south C19 vestry, to north small door; bell stage has louvred Y-tracery windows. Broach spire has unusual gable pinnacles, 3 tiers of lucarnes. South aisle has gabled porch, entrance with elliptical head. Vestry to south of aisle has canted end and 3-light window, entrance to east angle; 4-light east window. Chancel has 5- light window with reticulated tracery and 2 windows of 2 lights to south. Dormers to chancel not visible. Chapel has 5-light window, buttress between chapel and chancel has statue of Virgin and Child in canopied niche; north side of 4 bays with 3-light window. Interior: Nave has arcades on octagonal piers; C19 timber arch-braced roof. Font in base of tower is round, with band round shaft. Royal arms dated 1772. Good glass by C.E. Kempe to north aisle, clerestory, west end of south aisle and tower, 1888-90. Chancel has alabaster reredos; 4-bay arcade to chapel, south organ loft; south window and dormer windows by. E. Frampton, 1888 and 1890; east window, 1871. Chapel has timber screen. To left of altar; Charlotte Stanley, died 1662 and Sir Rowland Stanley, died 1613 table tomb with incised slab and brass plate. To right of altar, tomb chest, Sir William Stanley, died 1612, with tapering Ionic columns and incised slab. Screen to organ loft has 3 armorial panels c.1520 from Poole Family Pew.

Listing NGR: SJ3604280020

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 36042 80020

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 05:07:53.