List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CANONS ASHBY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1075304

Location

CANONS ASHBY HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityCanons Ashby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Feb-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360519

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CANONS ASHBY SP5750 19/29 Canons Ashby House 18/09/53 (Formerly listed as Canons Ashby Hall) GV I Country house. Mid C16 with earlier origins, extended c.1590, embellished c.1632, south front remodelled and other alterations made 1708-10. Coursed ironstone rubble, ironstone ashlar, brick, limestone dressings, tile roofs, stacks mostly brick, some stone. H-plan, extended to courtyard plan. 5-window west range to Green Court, entrance front until c.1840, of brick rendered, has early C18 central 8-panel double-leaf door in moulded stone frame with console keyblock flanked by plain Doric pilasters, supporting plain frieze, inflected cornice and broken pediment framing lead cartouche; original blocked C16 service door to left with 4-centred arch head and carved spandrels. To right and left, 3-light leaded mullion and transom windows; 3-light mullion windows to first floor. Gabled ends break forward and have 2 12-pane sashes to ground floor with moulded stone sills and plain surrounds with keyblocks, blocked to left end, 4-light mullion and transom windows with hood moulds to first floor, 3-light mullion windows in gables; mullions arched to right wing. Moulded plinth, quoins to angles. First floor string, fine lead rainwater heads and pipes flanking central bay. 2 brick lateral stacks left of centre, and central timber cupola with clock rebuilt 1981 to original early C18 design. 9-window south range to garden has rendered brick, 4-storey, tower left of centre with 8-panel door, approached by flight of 5 steps with shaped angles, with moulded stone surround, console keyblock, and broken segmental pediment. To right a 5-light mullion window. 3-light arch-mullion windows to first and second floors, all with hood moulds and similar window to fourth floor. Tower has a round stair turret with ogee lead roof and weather vane to rear left angle beside brick stack. Rest of range of 2 storeys, ashlar faced, 3 bays to left of tower, 5 to right, with 24-pane sashes, surrounds as above. 2-light mullion windows to basement, moulded plinth and storey band. Right gable end has 2-light mullion window with hood mould to gable and evidence of blocked and dismantled first floor oriel; long timber lintel with blocked opening below. Irregular 6-window brick north range has 2 and 3 storeys and mezzanine. 2-storey canted bays either end with mullion and transom windows except to upper window of left bay - mullioned only, tall 2-light mullion and transom windows to right of centre lighting kitchen, two 24-pane sashes to left with stone surrounds as above. 2-and 3 light mullion windows to ground, mezzanine and third floors and 2-light arch-mullion recess to left of right end bay, just above moulded plinth. Stepped string broken by mezzanine window. Brick and stone ridge stacks. Left gable end has second floor oriel, originally matching blocked oriel already mentioned, with mullion and transom window, and 1-light side pieces, a 3-light mullion window below and to ground floor (2 blocked first floor sash windows). East entrance front of 2 storeys is lower than the other ranges and has irregular fenestration. Chamfered carriage arch to right of arch. Various wood mullion and mullion and transom windows and a 2-storey double-hipped projection to left with small brick arched basement doorway. No plinth to left of arch. Rubble masonry and irregular fenestration to Pebble Court. 4-centred arched door to hall to right of centre is approached by flight of 7 steps. Re-used medieval stonework to this side of north range. Plain stone caped parapets except to east range. Interior: spectacular Jacobean plasterwork and overmantel in Drawing Room, former 'Great Chamber'. C16 painted decoration in studio and Spencer Room, early C18 Painted Parlour. Evidence of open roof to hall in rooms to side of Brown Gallery and possible Long Gallery in top storey of north range. Seat of the Drydens since mid C16; given to National Trust in 1981; (National Trust Guide: 1984; Buildings of England; Northants, p.134-6)

Listing NGR: SP5773150655

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: National Trust Guide - Date: 1984
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 30 Northamptonshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 134-6

National Grid Reference: SP 57731 50655

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 03:42:21.