List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1075292

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityPreston Capes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Feb-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360592

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PRESTON CAPES SP5754 15/102 Church of St. Peter and St. 18/01/68 Paul GV II* Church. C13-C15, restored 1853. Coursed squared ironstone, lead roofs, chancel tiled. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower. 3-light Perpendicular east window. North side of chancel wall much rebuilt with single low-side lancet window to west and signs of other blocked windows. To south a 3-light mullion window and priest's door to left. Nave has 2 bay clerestory with 2-light mullion windows with C18 leading, plain coped parapet and 2 C18 lead rainwater heads and pipes north and south. North aisle has 3-light Decorated east window with reticulated tracery and hood-mould with label stops, two 2-light Decorated windows either side of north door. North-west and west windows have 2 lights and depressed arch heads. South aisle has 3-light Decorated east window with cusped heads and intersecting tracery, a 3-light arch mullion window with hood-mould, to right of south porch, a 2-light Decorated window to left. South porch has double-chamfered door and holy water stoup. South door within has 4-centred arch head and hood-mould. West and south-west windows of south aisles have similar windows to those in corresponding positions in north aisle. Both aisles extend across sides of west tower. 3 stage west tower with pointed arch and 3-light Perpendicular window above. Belfry stage has 2-light Perpendicular windows. Angle buttresses and battlements. Interior: C17 communion table. East window flanked by Commandment, Creed and Lords prayer boards grouped in pairs vertically and topped by segmental pediments with gilded urns. Chancel roof of 1853. Chancel arch with 3 chamfered mouldings, innermost on polygonal responds. Nave has 3 bay arcades. Westernmost arches cut off by tower. North arcade has octagonal piers, double-chamfered arches, moulded capitals and respond at east end. South arcade has round piers, octagonal abaci and chamfered arches. Nave roof C19, old lean-to roofs to aisles, that of south aisle with stop-chamfered ties. Octagonal Perpendicular font with blank tracery patterns to sides, but built into south-east pier of tower. Some C15 pews. C18 wall monument in chancel. Painted Carolean Royal Arms in west end of south aisle. (Buildings of England: Northants, p.378; Kellys Directory for Northants, 1903).

Listing NGR: SP5742554900

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 378
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1903)

National Grid Reference: SP 57425 54900

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 11:50:00.