List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GRANGE

List entry Number: 1075290

Location

THE GRANGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityHellidon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360588

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HELLIDON SP5158 13/98 The Grange - II* House, former rectory and preparatory school. 1850 and 1861 with earlier origins; some C20 alterations. By William Butterfield for Reverend C.S. Holthouse. Ironstone ashlar with some sandstone dressings, tile roof, various stone stacks. Complex plan, basically L-shape. Main range of 2 storeys and attic and 3 windows, 2-storey wings. Principal range facing garden has 3-light wood mullion and transom windows to ground floor, three-light casement windows either side of a 2-light casement window to first floor. These windows have pointed relieving arches. Gabled half-dormers to attic storey. School-room wing projecting at right end has 2-storey gabled porch right of centre with Caernarvon doorway to ground floor, a stone outer staircase to left and 2-light arched casement window to first floor. To right of porch two 4-light chamfered mullion windows to ground floor and gabled dormers to first floor either side of porch. Left of porch 1 and 2-light casement windows to ground floor; a lean-to with catslide roof in angle between the ranges containing corridor links. At left side of first floor large half-hipped dormer with 5-light Gothic timber tracery window. Gable end of principal range faces road and has semi-canted bay window with steep stone roof to right of large stone stack. To left of gable end and facing road 2-storey, 1-window entrance wing with gabled timber porch which has inner and outer plank doors with ornamental hinges, 1-light windows to either side and 3-light leaded casement window to first floor. Left end elevation has two-storey canted bay window. Interior: C19 broach-stop chamfered spine beams. Former school dining hall in ground floor of schoolroom wing remodelled early C20. School room on first floor above has arch-brace collar truss roof and fine encaustic tile fireplace with monogram of Reverend C.S. Holthouse, designed and presented by Minton. The house was described in obituary of Reverend C. S. Holthouse (A Pilgramage to Hellidon, Northamptonshire Herald, 5 February 1881) as 'one of the happiest specimens of Butterfield's domestic architecture, shewing in gable and dormer and outside staircase its natural growth from a small beginning'. The nucleus of the rectory was a small baker's house purchased by the Reverend C.S. Holthouse, remodelled and extended at a cost of £1143,15.04. (Holthouse papers: Northants Record Office).

Listing NGR: SP5158558021

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 51585 58021

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 12:44:26.