List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1075284

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityHellidon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360577

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HELLIDON SP5158 13/87 Church of St. John the 18/01/68 Baptist GV II* Church. Medieval west tower, nave and chancel restored and largely re-built by William Butterfield 1846-1847; north aisle added 1867 by Butterfield, chancel aisle 1897 by Mathew Holding. Coursed squared ironstone with limestone and red sandstone dressings; slate roof. Chancel, north chancel aisle, nave, south porch, north aisle and transept, west tower. East window has 3-light Decorated style tracery and hood-mould with label stops. 2-light Decorated windows to chancel and nave except for south-east chancel window of 2-lights with straight head and hood mould. South porch has double-chamfered arch. South door has moulded arch on imposts and a hood-mould and bears inscription AD 1591. 3-stage battlemented west tower has red sandstone chamfered plinth, 1-light lancet window to ground floor, west side, and 2-light windows with Decorated tracery in red sandstone to belfry stage, except to south side which has a partially blocked arched window. Interior: chancel has polychromatic zig-zag-tiled dado to sanctuary and reredos of limestone inlaid with coloured marbles and tiles, and a red marble gradine. Arch-braced collar truss roof, the east-bay painted, and a painted inscription below wall plate. Simple painted decoration to soffit and splays of chancel windows. Nave has north arcade with chamfered arches dying into square piers and a scissor-truss roof. C19 stained glass east window by Frederick Preedy; C19 windows to south side of chancel in west tower by Alexander Gibbs: wall monument to restorer of church, Reverend C.S. Holthouse by Butterfield. (Holthouse papers, Northants Record Office, Buildings of England, Northants, 1973).

Listing NGR: SP5157358192

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961)

National Grid Reference: SP 51573 58192

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:42:22.