List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1075243

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityBrockhall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360682

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BROCKHALL SP66SW 5/37 Church of St. Peter and St. 18/01/68 Paul (Formerly listed as Church of St. Peter) GV II* Church. C13, C15, restored, re-roofed and chancel rebuilt 1874 by E.F. Law. Uncoursed ironstone and limestone rubble and ironstone ashlar, lead roofs. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch, west tower. One-bay chancel has 3-light Decorated style C19 east window, 2-light Perpendicular windows north and south with straight heads. Chancel has slate roof and stone coped east gable. Nave has two 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery to north side, offset buttresses to angles and between bays and north door with chamfered sunk-quadrant-moulded arch. To west of door C19 addition with 3-light straight-headed Perpendicular style north window. South aisle has 3-light Perpendicular east window, a 2-light window to east of porch with coupled lancets under hood mould with label stops, a single cusped lancet to west of porch. South door has round-headed arch on imposts within gabled south porch. Triple-hollow-chamfered doorway with 4-centred head and 2-light Perpendicular windows. North and south 2-stage west tower within west end of nave has lancet window in projection to west wall and 2-light bell openings. All windows have hood moulds, some with label stops. Battlemented parapet to tower, otherwise plain parapets. Interior: nave has 3-bay south arcade with circular piers, simple moulded capitals, and chamfered round arches, a plain pier with impost to east and polygonal respond with half capital to westernmost arch. Pointed and double chamfered north nave windows have deep splays and intermediate arch. Early C14 tomb recess in south aisle with inscribed slab framed by cusped arch with ball flower ornament and crocketted hood mould with foliage finial. North and south door has pinnacled Gothick inner surrounds. Octagonal font with fleurons and pyramidal timber cover. Mid C19 stained glass east window and 2 late C14 roundels in north nave windows. Royal Arms of George III, oil on canvas, in tower. Early C19 chamber organ. 4 hatchments to members of Thornton family - oil on canvas- and numerous C18 and C19 wall monuments. One to Elizabeth Trimmell d.1757, signed by John Hunt, Northampton, and another to Thomas Thornton d.1783, by William Cox. (Buildings of England: Northants, p.127).

Listing NGR: SP6328062684

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 127

National Grid Reference: SP 63280 62684

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 05:51:09.