List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1075128

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityWymondham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189913

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 81 NE WYMONDHAM MAIN STREET

Edmondthorpe (south side) 7/156 Church of St. Michael 1.1.68 I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C19. Coursed and squared ironstone and dressed limestone with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. West tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle, north porch, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has 2 chamfered string courses, quatrefoil frieze, 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet with 4 pinnacles and pyramidal roof with weathercock. To west, 2 C19 angle buttresses. To south east a 3 stage semi-circular stair turret with a stair light on each stage. Third stage has clasping buttresses. First stage has to west, a C13 lancet. Second stage has on each side a blocked and altered double lancet opening with ringed shafts and hood moulds. To west and north, clock dials. Third stage has on each side a double lancet bell opening with quatrefoil head, moulded reveal and hood mould. Clerestory, C15, 3 bays, has moulded parapet and gable. On each side, 3 triple lancets with intersecting tracery. Moulded 4 centred arched heads and hood moulds. North aisle, C14, 4 bays, has an angle buttress to west and 2 buttresses to north, with 2 setoffs. Chamfered and moulded plinth, coved eaves with ballflowers, coped gables with kneelers. North side has 3 ogee triple lancets with reticulated tracery, flat heads and hood moulds. West end has an untraceried C13 triple lancet with hood mould. East end has a triple lancet with cusped intersecting ogees, chamfered reveal and hood mould. North porch, C14, has chamfered plinth, 2 flanking buttresses and coped gable with cross. Double chamfered and rebated doorway with hood mould. Interior has stone benches, C19 roof and C14 double roll moulded inner doorway with shafts, hood mould and mask stops. Chancel, C13 raised C15, 2 bays, has moulded plinth and coved eaves. To east, north and south, a square panel at ground level containing a blocked quatrefoil. North side has a C13 cove and roll moulded blocked doorway with shafts and hood mould with foliate stops. To west, a small buttress. Above, 3 C14 cusped double lancets with Y tracery and coved flat headed reveals. East end has 2 angle buttresses and a C14 cusped ogee triple lancet with flowing tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South side has 3 cusped double lancets with Y tracery and coved flat headed reveals. South aisle, 4 bays, has chamfered plinth, coved eaves with ballflowers, and coped west gable. 2 angle buttresses. South side has an off-centre porch. To its right, a buttress flanked to left by a C14 triple ogee lancet with reticulated tracery and to right by an altered opening containing an ogee double lancet with reticulated tracery. Both lancets have flat heads and hood moulds with mask stops. East end has a blocked C14 untraceried triple lancet with hood mould and mask stops. C14 south porch has a double chamfered and rebated doorway with octagonal responds, hood mould and mask stops, flanked by single buttresses and topped by a coped gable with a block sundial finial. Pair of C20 doors with glazing bar overlight. Interior has triple chamfered tower arch, C13, with triple shaft responds and hood mould. Nave arcades, C14, 4 bays, have octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals. North west respond C13, half-round, the remaining responds half-octagonal. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds and mask stops. Low pitched C19 roof with straight struts to wall shafts. North aisle north wall has to east a large C14 tomb recess with crocketed gable and finial. To east again, a rebated square aumbry. East end has a window flanked on either side by a re-set mask corbel. South east corner has a C14 moulded piscina. North and south aisles have restored roofs with bosses. Chancel has C13 double chamfered and rebated arch with hood mould and mask imposts, and an altered C15 traceried oak screen with billeted crest. To its left, a square aumbry. North side has to east a blocked low level opening with a 4 centred arched head, and to its right, an aumbry with gabled head. South side has to east a C13 piscina and a window seat with below it, a blocked opening with a 4 centred arched head. To its right, a C13 double sedilia altered to form a monument and given inscribed tablets, by Rev. P. Boundy, c.1730. Restored low pitched roof with straight struts to wall shafts. Fittings include moulded round font, C14, on a square stem with 4 ringed shafts, and turned, bracketed C18 cover. Late C17 altar table with turned legs, C18 altar rail with barley sugar twist balusters, small C18 table and chair, early C18 benefactions board. C19 octagonal pulpit, desk, stalls, benches and brass lectern. Royal Arms (George III) 1777. 2 large C19 oil paintings. Monuments include a large marble, slate and alabaster structure to Sir Roger Smith, 2 wives, his son and grandson, 1655. Stepped forward central pedestal with inscribed panels. Above it, a figure on each of 3 tiers and above, crested semi-circular panel with inscribed tablet, flanked by obelisks. On either side an inscribed pedestal carrying a keystoned segmental headed crested niche containing a demi- figure. Baroque monument to Sir Edward Smith alias Heriz, 1707, marble and slate, with pedestal with 2 inscribed tablets and crests and above, Ionic columns carrying a crested stepped- forward cornice and a swagged, scrolled broken pediment, all enclosing an inscribed tablet. Classical marble monument to Olivia Smith, 1710, with moulded pedestal with 2 crests, carrying 2 Corinthian columns with full entablature and crested segmental pediment, all enclosing an inscribed tablet. Rococo monument to Edward Smnith, 1762, in coloured marbles. Inscribed sarcophagus with crested apron and with urn above, all set on an obelisk back panel. Pedimented Classical marble tablet to Margaret Smith, 1780. C18 hatchment, marble tablet 1879, 2 C20 tablets.

Listing NGR: SK8581417556

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 85814 17556

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 05:52:59.