List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1075083

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityBelvoir

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190013

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 8231-8331 BELVOIR CHURCH HILL (South end) Knipton 44/219 Church of All Saints 1.1.68 GV II*

Parish church. C13 west tower and chancel, mid C14 nave and north aisle, south aisle 1869 by W. Thompson of Grantham. Another restoration 1845-46. Ironstone with limestone dressings. Nave roof of copper (1965), rest of lead. 4 stage tower with clasping buttresses. Flat subsidiary buttresses to ground stage to north, south and, through 2 stages, to west. In middle of west buttress a lancet. 2 C19 lancets flank south buttress. Lancets to ringing chamber and late C14 limestone belfry stage: 2-light C19 windows. Side buttresses to aisles. South porch is gabled. North aisle windows are of 2 lights, with trefoil heads and encircled quatrefoil vesicas. North aisle extends to east end of chancel with a 3-light east window. 2 and 3- light south aisle windows. 4-light Perpendicular chancel east window. Interior. 3-bay arcade on lozenge piers: sunk quadrant mouldings to north and south and engaged shafts east and west, with capitals. Double chamfered arches. South arcade 1869. Triple chamfered tower arch on polygonal responds with polygonal capitals and bases. Octagonal font. Plain stem and bowl with 4 arches and niches. Under bowl are faces and 4- lobed globular ornaments. Double chamfered chancel arch on circular responds with waterholding bases. C19 nave roof of principals on arched braces dropping through wall posts to corbels. Traceried spandrels. Moulded ridge piece and one pair moulded butt purlins. North chancel chapel entered from chancel through semi-circular double chamfered arch. Filleted circular responds on waterholding bases and with undercut drum capitals. Capitals with nailhead decoration. Dog-tooth hood mould. In chapel a C13 trefoiled piscina. C19 chancel roof as nave but without traceried spandrels and with straight braces to corbels. 2 late C15 poppyhead benches and 2 further bench ends without poppyheads. Set into west wall of south porch is an alabaster slab commemorating John Eyre, 1558: incised figure of infant in swaddling clothes with surrounding inscription.

Listing NGR: SK8242031107

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 82420 31107

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 12:45:43.