List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1075081

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH CLOSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityClawson, Hose and Harby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190111

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLAWSON, HOSE AND CHURCH CLOSE, HARBY HOSE SK 72 NW Church of St Michael and 9/30 All Angels 1.1.68

GV II*

Church. C13-C15, repaired C18 and early C19. S arcade rebuilt c.1887. Coursed ironstone rubble and coursed squared ironstone, with limestone dressings, lead roofs. Chancel, aisled nave, N & S porches and W tower. 2- bay chancel has 3-light E window with foiled heads to lights, low 2-centred arched head and hood mould with label stops, 1-light windows to S with pointed heads of red brick, 2-light window to NE with Y tracery and pointed head of former priest's door to NW, now window, rest blocked. Nave has 4- window clerestory of limestone and 3-light windows with 4-centred arched heads and hood moulds. N aisle has 2-light windows either end and to NW with Y tracery and 3-light window to NE with intersecting tracery, all with hood moulds. N doorway has hollow chamfer and sunk quadrant moulding, imposts, hood mould with label stops, and medieval door with long wrought- iron hinges. C18 porch of red brick with round-headed doorway which has limestone imposts and key block. S aisle has 3-light windows with triangular heads and hood moulds. Worn S door has imposts with nailhead ornament. C18 S porch of red brick with round-headed doorway, blocked except for head, with limestone imposts and key block. S aisle has sundial dated 1735. W tower has 2-light W window with ogee-arched heads to lights quatrefoil to head and hood mould. Niche above with nodding ogee head of limestone. 2-light bell-chamber openings with foiled heads to lights, transoms, 2-centred arched heads and hood moulds. Battlemented parapets to truer, nave and aisles, all of limestone. Interior: Nave has 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, moulded bases and capitals, and double-chamfered arches. Font: octagonal with panelled stem, shields in quatrefoils to burl and angels with spread wings to angles of underside of burl, Stain-glass NE aisle window by Westlake 1913. Slate wall monument with gilded incised ornament and lettering to Joseph Shilcock dated 1786 signed W Barnes. Similar wall monument to William Shullock dated 1813, signed Swain Clawson. Buildings of England Leicester 1984 p.180

Listing NGR: SK7362729276

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1984 - Page References: 180

National Grid Reference: SK 73627 29276

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 12:44:40.