List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1075069

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityBroughton and Old Dalby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190078

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BROUGHTON CHURCH END & OLD DALBY (West side) SK 6926 Nether Broughton 31/230 Church of St Mary.

1.1.68

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and C14, clerestory added and chancel rebuilt C15. Restored 1881 and N wall of N aisle rebuilt 1903. Coursed squared ironstone, with limestone dressings and lead roofs. Chancel, aisled nave and W tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light E window with renewed Perpendicular-style tracery and hood mould with canopies either end to C20 figures on brackets. No windows to N but blocked priests door with hood mould. 2-light windows to S with Perpendicular tracery, that to SW renewed. Nave has 3-window clerestory of 2-light windows with straight heads and hood moulds. Aisles have 2-light windows to N and S with Decorated-style tracery of 1881 or early C2O. N aisle has small lancet windows either end, that to W with hood mould. 3-stage truer has chamfered W door with hood mould and 2-light window above with deep hollow-chamfered splay, late C19/early C2O Decorated-style tracery and hood would. 2-light bell-chamber openings with cinquefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil to head, and hood moulds. Battlemented parapet with quatrefoiled lozenge frieze helm gargoyles and panelled and crocketed pinnacles to angles; offset angle buttresses. Interior: Chancel has tiled sanctuary. Double-chamfered chancel arch, with semi-circular responds, thin swags and nail-head decoration to capitals. Similar capital to W respond of S arcade. 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers to N and polygonal responds, circular piers to S and keeled responds; moulded capitals. C17 communion table with arcaded fluting to front and turned legs. Hanoverian Royal Arms; oil on canvas. Curved stone, Saxon, with interlace work (in vestry). Small panel on S wall of S aisle, C13, with lamb and flag. Monuments: Wall monument with inscription on open book of white marble on raised grey marble ground, to Rev. John Morres d.1830 and other members of his family, signed E. Gaffin, Regent Street, London.

Listing NGR: SK6958326214

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 69583 26214

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 05:33:27.