List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BROOKSBY HALL

List entry Number: 1075040

Location

BROOKSBY HALL, BROOKSBY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityHoby with Rotherby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190214

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOBY WITH BROOKSBY ROAD ROTHERBY Brooksby

SK 61 NE Brooksby Hall 1/280 14.7.53 GV II*

Country house, now agricultural college. Late C16, altered early C18 and early C19. Extended and altered 1890-1 by R J and J Goodacre of Leicester. Other minor alterations by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Lord Beatty c1912. Coursed squared ironstone with limestone dressings, Swithland slate roofs, stone lateral and ridge stacks with brick flues. H plan. 2 storeys and attic; 7-window range. 3-bay hall range between projecting wings has central part-glazed door with moulded stone surround and cornice, flanked by 12-pane sash windows with moulded eared surrounds. Square six- pane sash windows to 1st floor with moulded stone surrounds, that to centre eared, and battlemented parapet. String courses at 1st floor level and to base of parapet. West wing to left has large canted stone bay window of cl890 with 8-pane sashes, moulded stone surrounds, plain ironstone parapet with limestone coping and quoins. Pair of 12-pane sashes to 1st floor with moulded eaved surrounds. 3-light leaded ovolo-moulded stone mullion attic window to gable with hood mould; stone-coped gable with kneelers. East wing to right of 1891 copies W wing, but has no bay window, but pair of sashes similar to those of 1st floor and similar gable window. Further 2 storey and attic extension to far right of similar date has sash windows with similar surrounds, gabled dormers behind plain stone-coped parapet and ends in 1- bay cross wing with similar stone mullion window to gable. C17 west wing has two large projecting lateral stacks to left side, towards font and rear, and 2-storey gabled projection to right of centre beside stack with 2- light ovolo-moulded stone mullion and transom windows to ground and 1st floors - possible former stair turret. 2-storey projection to centre, probably early C19, with hipped roof and large single-storey bow with glazed garden door flanked by sash windows all with moulded stone surrounds and battlemented parapet. Sash windows to 1st floor with wood lintels. Rear elevation of hall range has 4-light ovolo-moulded stone mullion and transom windows to ground and 1st floors either side of large central projecting stack. Interior: Stone cantilever staircase in W wing with plain iron balusters and ramped mahogany handrail. Hall remodelled for Lord Beatty in early C18 style with green marble bolection-moulded fireplace and painted wood surround with broken pediment to overmantel. Doorcases with pulvinated friezes and compartmented plaster ceiling. Dining room in east wing has C17 style stone fireplace and panelling, said to have been made of wood from Lord Beatty's flagship. Formerly the seat of the Villiers fiamily and birthplace in 1592 of George Villiers created Duke of Buckingham. Bought 1711 by Sir Nathan Wright. Rented for much of C19 as a hunting box. Tenants included 7th Earl of Cardigan. Sold 1911 to Rear Admiral Beatty, created Baron Beatty of the North Sea and Brooksby. Purchased by Leicestershire and Rutland County Councils 1945 for use as agricultural college. Buildings of England Leics 1984 p144-5. J R Hubbard, 'Brooksby' the story of an estate and its people, 1977.

Listing NGR: SK6710016072

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hubbard, J R, Brooksby The story of an estate and its people, (1977)
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 144-5

National Grid Reference: SK 67100 16072

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 05:56:49.